Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

Question Salad Leaves

I'm trying to grow some rocket in some tubs indoors but they seem to be doing quite poorly. The seeds sprout, grow a bit then just seem to wither(?) Im I under/over watering? Should they be outdoors? Have I sown too close together?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
I'm trying to grow some rocket in some tubs indoors but they seem to be doing quite poorly. The seeds sprout, grow a bit then just seem to wither(?) Im I under/over watering? Should they be outdoors? Have I sown too close together?
Waiting very impatiently for the first pickable leaves.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Salad Leaves

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:23:41 +0000, Grub
wrote:

I'm trying to grow some rocket in some tubs indoors but they seem to be
doing quite poorly. The seeds sprout, grow a bit then just seem to
wither(?) Im I under/over watering? Should they be outdoors? Have I sown
too close together?

Probably overwatering, but it is difficult to say for sure. There's a
thing called "damping off" - google it and compare to what you're
seeing.

Having had arugula which has self-seeded, I can say that it'll grow
with closely planted seeds no problem. May not get as large as
properly spaced plants, but it does fine.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Grub wrote:
I'm trying to grow some rocket in some tubs indoors but they seem to
be doing quite poorly. The seeds sprout, grow a bit then just seem to
wither(?) Im I under/over watering?

Since we don't know how much water you put on it is hard to say but out of
sun with too much water and they may be getting fungus. Let the top 1cm of
soil dry out (almost wilting) before you water. The frequency will depend
on the temperature, the sunlight and vigour of the plants.

Should they be outdoors?

Yes. The most likely problem is lack of light, leafy greens will often
tolerate part sun, strong light but no sun will make them inferior and weak
light will make them hopeless. People forget that there is a huge
difference in energy available from full sun to low light - in part because
our eyes adapt and minimise the apparent difference.

Have I
sown too close together?

In good conditions this will make them compete and all will be smaller but
they ought to still be healthy. If the light is already too poor and they
are shading each other you have compounded the problem.