Old 20-04-2012, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

Default Plant 'fruit' tree wife's birthday (where to get Strawberry Tree?)

My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts
longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree in
northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in panarea (italy).

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

Do you do that or know what a good nursery is for this type of edible bush?
Old 20-04-2012, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 20, 10:26*am, Jim Daschowsky wrote:
My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts
longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree in
northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in panarea (italy).

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

Do you do that or know what a good nursery is for this type of edible bush?

A simple google search says that they can be ordered
online and are suitable for your zone.
Old 20-04-2012, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

In article
Jim Daschowsky writes:
My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts
longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree in
northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in panarea (italy).

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

Do you do that or know what a good nursery is for this type of edible bush?

Wikipedia describes it as a Mediterranean native, so I would think
most of the San Francisco area would be fine. But I have no
experience growing it.

Looking online, I see several places selling seeds. Someone should
sell plants. A nursery/garden center might be able to order one
for you. They will have access to sellers that don't do retail.

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
Old 20-04-2012, 06:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:26:53 -0700, Jim Daschowsky
wrote:

My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts
longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree in
northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in panarea (italy).

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

Do you do that or know what a good nursery is for this type of edible bush?

To my knowledge strawberries grow as a bush not a tree. I don't know
about SF but I know they like somewhat cool weather like in Long
Island. My "guess" is okay in SF with climate but I'm not sure about
soil conditions. I think strawberries like sandy soil but google to
confirm this.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Derald wrote:

Jim Daschowsky wrote:

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

This plant can become a nuisance in short order. Your neighbors may soon
come to dislike you as well as the tree. Check with your state to be
sure that it's not classified as an invasive exotic which cannot be
transported on the roadways or brought into the state. The last link
below is an online source for live plants.

http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/we...8d04-0605030c0
f01/media/Html/Arbutus_unedo.htm

http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documen...ts/arbunea.pdf

http://www.floridata.com/ref/a/arbu_une.cfm

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/Plan...x?Plant_id=173

http://www.tytyga.com/European-Straw...berry-tree.htm

It looks like the strawberry tree is native to the Mediterranean which
would make it a good match for the SF area climate.

An article in SF Gate says that it grows well in Sunset climate zones
8,9 and 14 - 24.

Seems like it would be worth calling a few local nurseries and seeing if
they have them in stock. Might be easier than mail order.

marcella

Old 20-04-2012, 08:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

I guess you weren't capable of googling "strawberry tree" either.
Old 21-04-2012, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
In article
Jim Daschowsky writes:
[...]

Northern California is great for growing cannabis, order your seeds online.

Old 21-04-2012, 08:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!
Old 21-04-2012, 02:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On 4/21/2012 1:07 AM, Doug wrote:

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!

But what's the point of an answer when you don't even know what the
plant under discussion was/is....

Old 21-04-2012, 06:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 07:55:17 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/21/2012 1:07 AM, Doug wrote:

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!

But what's the point of an answer when you don't even know what the
plant under discussion was/is....

Ok but if I said "to my knowledge" does that mean I have to confirm it
each time myself? Can't the OP make that assessment by my words???

Old 21-04-2012, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On 4/21/2012 1:07 AM, Doug wrote:

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!

But what's the point of an answer when you don't even know what the
plant under discussion was/is....

Ok but if I said "to my knowledge" does that mean I have to confirm it
each time myself? Can't the OP make that assessment by my words???

Just to add to my post, I know this is usenet but frankly I get tired
of people who have nothing better to do than criticize others who try
to help whether they're right or wrong in their help.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On 4/21/2012 1:07 AM, Doug wrote:

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!

But what's the point of an answer when you don't even know what the
plant under discussion was/is....

Ok but if I said "to my knowledge" does that mean I have to confirm it
each time myself? * Can't the OP make that assessment by my words???

Just to add to my post, I know this is usenet but frankly I get tired
of people who have nothing better to do than criticize others who try
to help whether they're right or wrong in their help.

And some of us get tired of people that can't read
and comprehend a post and give advice that has
nothing to do with the question asked.

The OP said it was a "strawberry tree" that they had
seen in Italy. He even gave you the Latin name for
the species and called it a shrub. He was hoping to
be able to find that specific plant. You ignored all that
and replied about everyday strawberry plants. If
you had any doubts, a simple google search would
confirm that the OP knew what he was talking about.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible

On 4/21/2012 1:07 AM, Doug wrote:

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!

But what's the point of an answer when you don't even know what the
plant under discussion was/is....

Ok but if I said "to my knowledge" does that mean I have to confirm it
each time myself? * Can't the OP make that assessment by my words???

No it means you're too lazy to type "strawberry tree"
into google before making an ass of yourself. Had
you dont that, you might have learned something....