Old 21-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Registered User

Question Beginner Basil Growing Tips?

Hi,

Im growing basil for the first time from seeds. At the moment the seedlings are sitting in my 40-cell propagator (with transparent cover) and there are around 5-10 seedlings per cell (each cell is about an inch in width and length).

They are now starting to show their 2nd set of leaves, ie, they all now have 2 larger leaves and 2 small ones (1-2mm). The seedlings are about an inch or more tall.

My question is, when should I transplant them to my mini greenhouse outside in the garden? I understand it is a question of outside temperature and also the size of the seedlings. But I have seen various inconsistent bits of advice online.

I am worried about the cold predominantly. It is mid April now and I live in Wiltshire, but I dont know how much cold basil can resist or if its just fine to prick out and transplant now.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Beginner Basil Growing Tips?

In article ,
derf wrote:

I am worried about the cold predominantly. It is mid April now and I
live in Wiltshire, but I dont know how much cold basil can resist or if
its just fine to prick out and transplant now.

That's a good thing to worry about. I don't know what your weather is
like, but I can tell you that Basil will expire at the merest hint of
frost.

Now, if you are planting them out into protection (you mention a mini
greenhouse) that will not frost, you should be fine. But if it might
freeze/frost inside that, it's too soon for basil (I actually have found
something that's even more sensitive - our "pineapple tomatillos" took
some kind of a hit last fall on a night that the basil lived through
without damage.)

In planting straight into the garden, I generally wait until well after
the last hint of the possibility of frost before the basil goes out.