Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default morel farming (was: Edible or not?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
In another newsgroup, this would be called a 'Gloat' -- and my
response would be "You suck".g

Sure look like morels from here. I had some in my yard *once* 20
yrs ago. Best mushrooms ever-- And they never returned.

Cut the stems, don't pluck them. Dry them, fry them, enjoy them.

take a few and soak them in cool water overnight.

go out and dig a trench off to the side someplace
you don't mind not mowing for a bit if mushrooms
appear.

take some fruitwood sprinkle it with the water
you've soaked morels in. bury. wait. hope.

my bro hunts morels in the woods, takes his water
from cleaning them and dumps it outside. now has
morels in his yard.

i took some water from morels and dumped it out
here in several locations last year, but i suspect
it will take more than one year for the fungal mass
to be large enough to fruit. if it actually does
something that would be great...

songbird
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

It is thought that at least some morels are mycoryzal, so pour your cleaning
water near trees they associate with. Here in the Southern Appalachians
those trees are tulip poplar, ash and apple. We don't have elms here, but
morels are known to associate with same. There has been some success
cultivating black morels on the west coast in Douglas fir chips.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default morel farming

songbird wrote:

take a few and soak them in cool water overnight.

go out and dig a trench off to the side someplace
you don't mind not mowing for a bit if mushrooms
appear.

take some fruitwood sprinkle it with the water
you've soaked morels in. bury. wait. hope.

Has anyone anywhere ever managed to grow morel deliberately? I have
never heard of any.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
songbird wrote:

take a few and soak them in cool water overnight.

go out and dig a trench off to the side someplace
you don't mind not mowing for a bit if mushrooms
appear.

take some fruitwood sprinkle it with the water
you've soaked morels in. bury. wait. hope.

Has anyone anywhere ever managed to grow morel deliberately? I have
never heard of any.

Yes, there are many kits available, but they are only about 30% successful.
The most successful are the kits for the "burn site" morels. The process
involves layering ash and charcoal along with the spawn. Do a "Google"
search for morel kits, I believe you'll find quite a few.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Edible or not?

"Frank" wrote in message
On 4/30/2012 4:54 PM, Steve Peek wrote:
wrote in message
In articlea4WdnVLkQ6loPQPSnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
"Steve wrote:

wrote in message
In ,
"David wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet
says they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would
definitely like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage
with some information about that.

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Morels are the easiest mushroom to properly identify, and yes, they
can sometimes be found growing in a back yard. Your mushrooms do,
indeed,
look like edible morels, but a full ID would require looking at the
stem and cutting one in half.

True morels have hollow stems that connect directly to the cap.

False morels either do not have hollow stems or the cap hangs down
over
the stem.

Check out these links:

http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html
http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel2.html

A couple of years back we had a prolonged cool, wet spring and a
couple of dead or dying fruit trees in the back yard, which resulted
in a spectacular crop of extremely delicious morels.

Here is the mushroom sliced open.

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...orel-slice.jpg

It looks like the good, hollow kind, right?

Thanks for your reply.

Don't be a fool. Take it to Cal Poly.

Don't be a fool, it's a clump of morels!!!!! I've been picking them for
over
40 years, I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!

You'd bet his life on it? He is 18 min. from Cuesta College, and 25 min.
from UC Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Seems a small price for an expert's
opinion, who would be in the presence of the mushroom, rather than
someone who is simply looking at a picture of it.

This isn't about your pride. Mushroom pickers die every year from
mistaken identity. Why shouldn't David avail himself of the very best
best advice?

Of course one should avail themselves of the best advise available,
always.
There is ABSOLUTELY no other fungus that looks like that. Some are close,
but not like that. I've been picking them for over 40 years! Would you
like
to wager that I'm wrong? I can't bet my life on it (I'm on the other
coast)
but I'll cover anything up to a million or so (US, in cash of course).

From stuff I read and all the utubes online, I would not be afraid to try
them without going to the trouble of seeking out local experts first.

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them. After
giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert advice, he
consulted two reference books (both written by David Arora) and said they
were edible mushrooms. We went around and picked quite a few and he
explained the differences between the dry ones (they need to be soaked
first) and the fresher, moist ones. He said to cook and eat a small amount
to begin with and make sure that there were no food allergy reactions. If
everything was ok after that, then they could be seasoned to our liking. He
also said never eat them without cooking them first.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Farber said:

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them. After
giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert advice, he
consulted two reference books (both written by David Arora) and said they
were edible mushrooms. We went around and picked quite a few and he
explained the differences between the dry ones (they need to be soaked
first) and the fresher, moist ones. He said to cook and eat a small amount
to begin with and make sure that there were no food allergy reactions. If
everything was ok after that, then they could be seasoned to our liking. He
also said never eat them without cooking them first.

Good news all around. Even an expert consulted a reference or two first, eh?

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there
are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
David Farber said:

[...]

I totally agree, but the morel is the first mushroom we teach children. It's
a shame I couldn't teach the "children" here.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
In articlea4WdnVLkQ6loPQPSnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
"Steve wrote:

wrote in message
In ,
"David wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

From stuff I read and all the utubes online, I would not be afraid to try
them without going to the trouble of seeking out local experts first.

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them. After
giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert advice, he
consulted two reference books (both written by David Arora) and said they
were edible mushrooms.

If he had to consult a reference for morels he is NOT an expert!!!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
In articlea4WdnVLkQ6loPQPSnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
"Steve wrote:

wrote in message
In ,
"David wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

From stuff I read and all the utubes online, I would not be afraid to try
them without going to the trouble of seeking out local experts first.

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them. After
giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert advice, he
consulted two reference books (both written by David Arora) and said they
were edible mushrooms.

If he had to consult a reference for morels he is NOT an expert!!!!!

I would assume he brought the book to show David a reliable reference
and used it to point out important things to look for. As a teacher,
not just an "expert."
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
In articlea4WdnVLkQ6loPQPSnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
"Steve wrote:

wrote in message
In ,
"David wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

From stuff I read and all the utubes online, I would not be afraid
to try them without going to the trouble of seeking out local
experts first.

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them.
After giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert
advice, he consulted two reference books (both written by David
Arora) and said they were edible mushrooms.

If he had to consult a reference for morels he is NOT an expert!!!!!

I would assume he brought the book to show David a reliable reference
and used it to point out important things to look for. As a teacher,
not just an "expert."

Bingo!

He was explaining the difference between the edible and false Morels.

--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA