Old 29-04-2012, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Edible or not?

I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says
they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely like
a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some information
about that.
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...shroom-hunting

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Old 29-04-2012, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Farber said:

I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says
they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely
like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some
information about that.

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Morels are the easiest mushroom to properly identify, and yes, they can
sometimes be found growing in a back yard. Your mushrooms do, indeed,
look like edible morels, but a full ID would require looking at the stem and
cutting one in half.

True morels have hollow stems that connect directly to the cap.

False morels either do not have hollow stems or the cap hangs down over
the stem.

Check out these links:

http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html
http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel2.html

A couple of years back we had a prolonged cool, wet spring and a couple of
dead or dying fruit trees in the back yard, which resulted in a spectacular
crop of extremely delicious morels.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 29-04-2012, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Farber" wrote in message
I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says
they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely
like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some
information about that.
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...shroom-hunting

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Those are indeed morels, but it would seem to be the wrong time of year for
them in CA. My hunting partners & I have picked over 2000 this year. The
ones you have are probably Morchella esculenta, although that name may be in
error as they are a European species. We are rapidly discovering that many
of the N. American fungi that were given European names are not the same
mushroom.

Old 29-04-2012, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message

[...]

Also be aware that fungi can concentrate poisons, heavy metals in
particular. If your garden is treated heavily with chemicals, I wouldn't
advise eating them.

Old 30-04-2012, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

Here is the mushroom sliced open.

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...orel-slice.jpg

It looks like the good, hollow kind, right?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Old 30-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Farber View Post
I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says
they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely like
a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some information
about that.
Safe Mushroom Hunting | Missouri Department of Conservation

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

My favorite is hunting Morel mushrooms. They only grow in the spring, from about mid March to mid May, and they are a wonderful treat that can be cooked in a number of different ways and make the perfect side dish or topper for most meals. Morels have a wonderful strong flavor that cannot be compared with any other food, whether fungal or not. After cleaning and slicing each mushroom it is time to cook them. There are many recipes and preferred methods for doing this. Among my favorites is to either sautee' them in butter, salt, pepper and garlic. Or the most common way to cook them is to batter and fry them.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 30-04-2012, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Farber said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

Looks a little "off" to me. I wouldn't eat it unless I'd had it verified by
an expert. The top is too small and the base is a bit too filled in.

Old 30-04-2012, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Farber" wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

Don't be a fool. Take it to Cal Poly.

Don't be a fool, it's a clump of morels!!!!! I've been picking them for over
40 years, I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!

Old 30-04-2012, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

That's exactly right, the problem is that that one is too far past its'
prime to be a good edible. Slice them all and dehydrate them. Once you get
your "positive" ID you can eat them.

Old 30-04-2012, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Farber" wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

You'd bet his life on it? He is 18 min. from Cuesta College, and 25
min. from UC Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Seems a small price for an
expert's opinion, who would be in the presence of the mushroom,
rather than someone who is simply looking at a picture of it.

This isn't about your pride. Mushroom pickers die every year from
mistaken identity. Why shouldn't David avail himself of the very best
best advice?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the colleges a call and see what help
they can offer.

--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Old 30-04-2012, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Farber" wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

Of course one should avail themselves of the best advise available, always.
There is ABSOLUTELY no other fungus that looks like that. Some are close,
but not like that. I've been picking them for over 40 years! Would you like
to wager that I'm wrong? I can't bet my life on it (I'm on the other coast)
but I'll cover anything up to a million or so (US, in cash of course).

Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Farber" wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

I called Cal Poly. They didn't express an interest in investigating the
issue. They referred me to the local volunteer, master gardener program.
It's a program run by UC Davis. The volunteer told me to e-mail the picture
to them. I asked about bringing in a sample but I was told that they don't
do any scientific analysis.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Old 01-05-2012, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/30/2012 4:54 PM, Steve Peek wrote:
wrote in message
In articlea4WdnVLkQ6loPQPSnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
"Steve wrote:

wrote in message
In ,
"David wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

From stuff I read and all the utubes online, I would not be afraid to
try them without going to the trouble of seeking out local experts first.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Farber" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Farber" wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David Farber said:

[...]

Contact some of these folks, they won't need to see anything other than the
photos:
http://www.bayareamushrooms.org/california_clubs.html
http://www.mykoweb.com/na_mycos.html
http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/st...clubstext.html
http://www.thekitchn.com/mycological...-san-fra-64386
http://www.fvmushroomclub.ca/

A couple of these are Ca mushroom clubs, others are links to many dozens of
mushrooms clubs in N. American. Send the photos to ANY of them and they will
confirm what I say.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:02:32 -0700, "David Farber"
wrote:

I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says
they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely like
a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some information
about that.
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...shroom-hunting

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

In another newsgroup, this would be called a 'Gloat' -- and my
response would be "You suck".g

Sure look like morels from here. I had some in my yard *once* 20
yrs ago. Best mushrooms ever-- And they never returned.

Cut the stems, don't pluck them. Dry them, fry them, enjoy them.

Jim