Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered User

Default Redcurrent Bushes

Hi there, I am new here and a fairly new own produce gardener. I planted a redcurrent bush last year, against the wall of my house which is west facing. I had no flowers and no fruit last year but kind of expected that. but this year again no flowers, so I bought another redcurrent thinking it may need 2 to pollenate each other but still nothing. what am I doing wrong. Its lovely and healthy, lovely green leaves just no flowers. thank you
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddles View Post
Hi there, I am new here and a fairly new own produce gardener. I planted a redcurrent bush last year, against the wall of my house which is west facing. I had no flowers and no fruit last year but kind of expected that. but this year again no flowers, so I bought another redcurrent thinking it may need 2 to pollenate each other but still nothing. what am I doing wrong. Its lovely and healthy, lovely green leaves just no flowers. thank you
Currants require good quality organic nutrients in the soil. They especially need a lot of potassium. It's therefore recommended that you use good quality seaweed compost or seaweed extract. If the leaves turn brown in summertime this is a sign that the plant is suffering from potassium deficiency. A good time to add compost is at the beginning of spring and again when they start bearing fruit, because the fruiting process requires a lot of nutrients from the soil.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

siddles said:

Hi there, I am new here and a fairly new own produce gardener. I
planted a redcurrent bush last year, against the wall of my house which
is west facing. I had no flowers and no fruit last year but kind of
expected that. but this year again no flowers, so I bought another
redcurrent thinking it may need 2 to pollenate each other but still
nothing. what am I doing wrong. Its lovely and healthy, lovely green
leaves just no flowers. thank you

They are self-fruitful, but the western exposure is far from optimal.
They would do much better in an eastern exposure with morning sun
and afternoon shade, or with shade through the warmest part of the
day. My red currant bore fruit the second year and is located in a
spot with morning sun.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
'Home Security' plants/bushes Keith D United Kingdom 0 06-04-2003 10:17 AM
Wanted: Blueberry bushes McFadden57 Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:32 PM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM
Blueberry bushes for Upstate NY? Beecrofter Gardening 0 22-02-2003 05:39 AM