Old 27-05-2012, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Burpee Sale

Through tomorrow there is no shipping charge. Use the promo code FS146
at checkout. There were a couple of seeds I can't usually find around
here so it was a good chance to get them without paying half again for
shipping.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Old 28-05-2012, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:00:22 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

I would never spend a penny with Burpee/Monsanto.

Take off your tinfoil hat - it has fried your brain.

http://www.burpee.com/gygg/content.j...t-burpee-seeds
Old 28-05-2012, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Biggest competitors, perhaps, but not all. Here is the take on Seminis
from Fedco Seeds.

Shameless plug:

www.seedsavers.org

Convention upcoming in late July....pictures to follow!

Old 28-05-2012, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 May 2012 13:57:29 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Billy wrote:

Biggest competitors, perhaps, but not all. Here is the take on Seminis
from Fedco Seeds.

Shameless plug:

www.seedsavers.org

Convention upcoming in late July....pictures to follow!

I was in Wallyworld yesterday and I saw a display of Seed Saver
organic seed packages on display.

Old 29-05-2012, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 May 2012 10:13:44 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

I would never spend a penny with Burpee/Monsanto.

Take off your tinfoil hat - it has fried your brain.

http://www.burpee.com/gygg/content.j...t-burpee-seeds

As Mr. Ball says in defense of Burpee ownership. For the record, I own
W. Atlee Burpee & Co. Burpee is NOT owned by Monsanto. We do purchase a
small number of seeds from the garden seed department of Seminis, a
Monsanto subsidiary, and so do our biggest competitors.

I am perfectly capable of reading the web links I use for citation. I
stand by what I say, too.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm

Biggest competitors, perhaps, but not all. Here is the take on Seminis
from Fedco Seeds.

The Monsanto buyout presented us with a serious ethical dilemma. In
striving to carry the best possible varieties at reasonable prices, we
have based our selections largely on the merits of the varieties, rarely
on our supplier preferences. Could we be purveyors of Monsanto products
and still sleep well at night? Many of our customers have depended upon
Seminis' good genetics. However much we may think we require these
varieties in the short run, they come at a devastating social cost,
ultimately the complete alienation of sower from seed.

Fedco Drops Monsanto/Seminis

We responded to the news by polling our customers. Should we drop the
Seminis/Monsanto line, phase it out, keep it but give it its own
customer code, or maintain it without change? We received an
unprecedented 1,157 responses. 54.8% voted for us to drop the
Seminis/Monsanto line immediately, and an additional 17% to phase it out
over time.

And what does an unscientific poll conducted by Fedco have to do with
Burpee seeds?

Boron
Old 29-05-2012, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 May 2012 16:51:17 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 10:13:44 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

I would never spend a penny with Burpee/Monsanto.

Take off your tinfoil hat - it has fried your brain.

http://www.burpee.com/gygg/content.j...t-burpee-seeds

As Mr. Ball says in defense of Burpee ownership. For the record, I own
W. Atlee Burpee & Co. Burpee is NOT owned by Monsanto. We do purchase a
small number of seeds from the garden seed department of Seminis, a
Monsanto subsidiary, and so do our biggest competitors.

I am perfectly capable of reading the web links I use for citation. I
stand by what I say, too.

You can go back to reading whatever you like, as I have no further need
of you. I'm glad to read that you are literate, but I was addressing
others as to what is a salient point to me, and that is dealing with the
enemy.

"The enemy"? Whoa, there, buddy, I think you're trying to prove you're
one slice short of a sandwich.

You may harbor any thoughts and feelings you want about me or
Monsanto. I've no objection but you're implications that Burpee
should be shunned due to purchases through Seminis, even though
Burpee have nothing to do themselves with GMO seeds, takes it down a
nonsensical path.

Fedco Drops Monsanto/Seminis

We responded to the news by polling our customers. Should we drop the
Seminis/Monsanto line, phase it out, keep it but give it its own
customer code, or maintain it without change? We received an
unprecedented 1,157 responses. 54.8% voted for us to drop the
Seminis/Monsanto line immediately, and an additional 17% to phase it out
over time.

And what does an unscientific poll conducted by Fedco have to do with
Burpee seeds?

Let's call it a democratic choice.

No, the poll is marketing, not "democratic choice." The poll would
had to have been conducted in a representative way to yield valid and
reliable results insofar as polling, but even if it were, it would
have nothing to do with democratic choice. Fedco is not a government.

Fedco, on the other hand, *can* do whatever the hell they want in
their business and give any or no reason for it. You, then, are free
to buy from them or not, based on any or no reason whatsoever.

Fedco has annual sales of $3 million. Burpee has sales somewhere
between $30 and $50 million.

Boron

Old 29-05-2012, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar wrote:

I've no objection but you're implications that Burpee
should be shunned due to purchases through Seminis, even though
Burpee have nothing to do themselves with GMO seeds

But for those who believe that Monsanto's business model embodies all that
is corrupt and greedy, our main weapon is to shun those who do business
with them, voting with our wallets. That's what Fedco customers said loud
and clear. Even at a couple of removes, Burpee _does_ have something to do
with GMO seeds.

Old 30-05-2012, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 29 May 2012 12:03:02 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

I've no objection but you're implications that Burpee
should be shunned due to purchases through Seminis, even though
Burpee have nothing to do themselves with GMO seeds

But for those who believe that Monsanto's business model embodies all that
is corrupt and greedy, our main weapon is to shun those who do business
with them, voting with our wallets. That's what Fedco customers said loud
and clear.

You do not have proof that last statement is true. Without knowing the
definition of those who were invited to participate in the poll, how
the survey was worded and of those who were invited to respond, how
many actually did so, and how representative they were of the Fedco
customer universe, you just cannot make that as a statement of fact. I
have been creating and analyzing surveys and polls for over 35 years.
That is why I find tossing around the Fedco numbers a load of manure
best put into a garden plot.

Even at a couple of removes, Burpee _does_ have something to do
with GMO seeds.

And by that extension so do damn near all of the garden supply,
hardware and even a good chunk of the grocery stores in the US. There
are better, more logical and effective ways to battle the sort of
practices Monsanto engages in. Going after Burpee is a waste of time.
And I have been involved in political protest even longer than I have
been in market research.

Boron
Old 30-05-2012, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar wrote:

That is why I find tossing around the Fedco numbers a load of manure
best put into a garden plot.

I didn't quote any numbers.
Fedco asked its customers and apparently got response sufficient to guide
their course of action.
I do see a lot of "surveys" these days designed to produce a particular
result, i.e. the ubiquitous newsmax popups.

Old 30-05-2012, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Boron Elgar wrote:

That is why I find tossing around the Fedco numbers a load of manure
best put into a garden plot.

I didn't quote any numbers.
Fedco asked its customers and apparently got response sufficient to guide
their course of action.
I do see a lot of "surveys" these days designed to produce a particular
result, i.e. the ubiquitous newsmax popups.

The numbers were quoted in Billy's post:

"We responded to the news by polling our customers. Should we drop the
Seminis/Monsanto line, phase it out, keep it but give it its own
customer code, or maintain it without change? We received an
unprecedented 1,157 responses. 54.8% voted for us to drop the
Seminis/Monsanto line immediately, and an additional 17% to phase it out
over time. "

In the scheme of things, not a huge number to be working with.

Mike

Old 30-05-2012, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 30 May 2012 09:11:21 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

That is why I find tossing around the Fedco numbers a load of manure
best put into a garden plot.

I didn't quote any numbers.

The numbers were previously posted by Billy, not you.. You posted your
conclusion of Fedco customers saying something "loud and clear."

Fedco asked its customers and apparently got response sufficient to guide
their course of action.

You do not know what drivers were involved in the decision making.

I do see a lot of "surveys" these days designed to produce a particular
result, i.e. the ubiquitous newsmax popups.

Any survey that is not properly designed, executed and analyzed is
useless.

Boron
Old 30-05-2012, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:15:23 -0500, phorbin
wrote:

In article ,
says...

And by that extension so do damn near all of the garden supply,
hardware and even a good chunk of the grocery stores in the US. There
are better, more logical and effective ways to battle the sort of
practices Monsanto engages in. Going after Burpee is a waste of time.
And I have been involved in political protest even longer than I have
been in market research.

Then let's hear how you would organize a way to carry the battle to
Monsanto and bring down the evil empire.

I've no interest. I merely exposed the lack of logic in going after
Burpee but not regarding others similarly as they also do business
with Monsanto.

Think globally, act locally.

Boron