Old 29-05-2012, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ants

I have ants all over my squash. I have tried Seven Dust but it doesn't
seem to be working? Can I use real killer stuff and still eat the
squash or should I just ignore them? They are fire ants so weeding is
an issue.
MJ

Old 29-05-2012, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article
,
" wrote:

I have ants all over my squash. I have tried Seven Dust but it
doesn't seem to be working? Can I use real killer stuff and still
eat the squash or should I just ignore them? They are fire ants so
weeding is an issue.
MJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbaryl

Risk
Carbaryl kills both targeted (e.g. malaria-carrying mosquitos) and
beneficial insects (e.g. honeybees), as well as crustaceans.

Although approved for more than 100 crops in the US, carbaryl is
illegal in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Austria,
Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Angola.[3]

Carbaryl is often produced using methyl isocyanate (MIC) as an
intermediary. A leak of MIC used in the production of carbaryl caused
the Bhopal disaster, the largest industrial accident in history. This
accident caused around 11,000 deaths and over 500,000 injuries.
Safety

Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is
classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)[4]
-----

Personally, I wouldn't eat your squash. Notice also that you have
killed pollinators, which are responsible for a third of the food
that we eat.

Try some sugar + boric acid instead.

Or perhaps some diatomaceous earth and powdered sugar ... with or without
the boric acid . I need to sprinkle a little DE around my garden soon , last
year I lost all my zucchini's to squash borers . Of course that means I'll
have to set up some drip hoses instead of spraying the water from my hose
attachment .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 09:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 05:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 11:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 04:32 PM