Old 31-05-2012, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The Horn Worms are Back

I have caught it quickly so no real harm done but her my question....
It seems like I read to take a flash light to the plants after dark
and the worm will "glow". Am I correct or did I dream this up? Google
doesn't seem to want to help me find this answer tonight.
MJ
Old 31-05-2012, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 30, 7:18*pm, songbird wrote:
wrote:
I have caught it quickly so no real harm done but her my question....
It seems like I read to take a flash light to the plants after dark
and the worm will "glow". Am I correct or did I dream this up? *Google
doesn't seem to want to help me find this answer tonight.

* sorry, doesn't sound familiar to me and
i'm offline at the moment.

* we catch 'em in the early morning by
inspecting the plants every day until
they are cleared out. *some years are
better or worse than others as far as
how many.

* sometimes we can hear them chewing.

* we look for their droppings on the
ground and then trace them upwards.

* we also trim off chewed leaves so that
any new damage is visible, then we know
we've got a new worm.

* songbird

Yep the droppings are the key and cleaning up the stripped branches. I
tried the light thing last night and found nothing. Checked just now
(5:30am) and found nothing except a toad that scared the #&*% out of
me. I did find the flashlight trick (?) under "Country Lor" last night
so I will keep trying it as well as the other methods. I hate those
creepy worms
MJ
Old 31-05-2012, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

I have caught it quickly so no real harm done but her my question....
It seems like I read to take a flash light to the plants after dark
and the worm will "glow". Am I correct or did I dream this up? Google
doesn't seem to want to help me find this answer tonight.
MJ

If they have about 1/4 white eggs on them let them live. It will not
be for long.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 31-05-2012, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 31, 7:53*am, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
I have caught it quickly so no real harm done but her my question....
It seems like I read to take a flash light to the plants after dark
and the worm will "glow". Am I correct or did I dream this up? *Google
doesn't seem to want to help me find this answer tonight.
MJ

*If they have about 1/4 white eggs on them let them live. *It will not
be for long.

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

So far just little ones, maybe 2 2 1/2 inches. Bright green