GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to harvest herbs correctly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/203810-how-harvest-herbs-correctly.html)

solar flick 01-06-2012 06:34 AM

How to harvest herbs correctly

So, I am growing a few herbs in containers. My first attempt! I have Basil, and chives, Rosemary and Mint.

My question relates to how you harvest them.

Is it better to take the new shoots and leaves from the top of the plant?

Or should you take the larger, lower leaves?

I've been taking the lower leaves, because they were bigger, and I thought it wouldn't stop the plant from growing upwards... but I'm noticing now that the stems on the bottom of the plants are getting a bit 'spindly'.

Can anyone advise the correct method?

Thanks.

allen73 01-06-2012 08:35 AM

Houseplant Care When your basil plant develops three sets of leaves, it's time to make your first harvest.
Cut the chive leaves with scissors when required, starting with the outside leaves (those nearest the edge of the pot) and working your way inwards. Always leave 5cm (2in) of leaves remaining. The leaves rapidly grow back and can be cut several times in the growing season.
The best day to collect rosemary is a fine, dry day. Cut off loose and scraggly ends. Keep the bundles at a maximum of 10 stems each. Cut mint, using a pair of scissors. If possible, cut leaves from the top of the mint plant. This allows the plant to branch out and grow more leaves towards the bottom of the plant.