GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chipmunks eating my blueberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/203911-chipmunks-eating-my-blueberries.html)

General Schvantzkoph 10-06-2012 09:55 PM

Chipmunks eating my blueberries

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 15:55:47 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:25:58 +0000, fuzzy2010 wrote:

-snip-
'Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks' (http://tinyurl.com/36p788r)

-snip-
I've tried a number of things on that list, they don't work. Plastic
owls don't fool anybody, I tried one and the birds used it as a perch.

I'd be tempted to get one of those owls for the photo opportunity-- but
they are way too expensive.

I love the 'review' on the live trap- " I ordered it and within 30
minutes of getting it and setting it up I heard the "Snap" of the trap.
Sure enough, I finally had safely trapped the chipmunk. I delivered him
to the arboretum across the street, where I hope he lived happily ever
after."

1 chipmunk? Moved him all the way across the street? That's rich.

The fox urine *is* a possibility, though. I used liquid fence for a
rascally rabbit one year & it seemed to work. [that bugger was a
ghost-- got through fences, never showed himself when I was armed, and
would *not* go in a trap] Expensive, and a pain in the butt--- but it
worked.

The ultrasonic repellent might be worth $15 to try, too.

-snip-
into kitty litter quicksand I dug it out and buried it in the woods. I
am using Critter Ridder repellent, I have no evidence one way or the
other on that so I bought so more this year out of shear desperation.

Have the chipmunks kept coming after you used it? That look's like a
pepper/capsicum based one. I've tried them with squirrels and they
were useless.

Jim

I used hot pepper in my bird feeder last year and it worked. I went to an
Indian grocery and bought the hottest chili pepper they had. The first
time I mixed it into the bird seed I didn't use a respirator and it was
like I'd experienced a WWI gas attack, I learned my lesson and when I do
it now I use a gas mask.

General Schvantzkoph 11-06-2012 01:05 AM

Chipmunks eating my blueberries

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 18:08:29 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how
to kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for
cats in my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are
there any poisons that are good for chipmunks?

I feel like a murderer. The mouse traps caught a couple of moles and the
rat trap caught a chipmunk. The chipmunk was still alive which is why I
feel so guilty, I had to drown him to put him out of his misery. The
chipmunks have eaten five trays of rat poison, I won't see them die so
it's not so bad. BTW I saw the chipmunks eating the poison so I know it's
not other animals.

VeryGreen 11-06-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Schvantzkoph (Post 961002)
I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?

My cat has killed a chipmunk. Be careful out there.