Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Chipmunks eating my blueberries

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8 Jun 2012 18:08:29 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?

My dad nets his blueberries for birds-- don't know if he has a
chipmunk problem. I've got them eating all my gooseberries, so
I'm going to start trapping them with a drowning set. [1/2 full 5
gallon bucket with a cover & a bit of pipe leading down into the
bucket. Peanut butter smeared on the inside of the lid so they can
smell it.]

Mouse traps are too small-- but rat traps or ratzappers will work.

Jim
Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?

My dad nets his blueberries for birds-- don't know if he has a
chipmunk problem. I've got them eating all my gooseberries, so
I'm going to start trapping them with a drowning set. [1/2 full 5
gallon bucket with a cover & a bit of pipe leading down into the
bucket. Peanut butter smeared on the inside of the lid so they can
smell it.]

Mouse traps are too small-- but rat traps or ratzappers will work.

Jim

Rat traps work fine. I had to resort to them last year on the deck
garden. The chipmunks got too destructive.

Boron
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?

Use the rat trap & bait with peanut butter. IMHO they are just as or more so
tasty than squirrel. You just need more for a meal.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?

Use the rat trap & bait with peanut butter. IMHO they are just as or more so
tasty than squirrel. You just need more for a meal.

if you have ants and birds around you may want
to put them under a box with gaps in the sides.
otherwise you'll find birds in the rat traps too.

if you have extra sunflower seeds i mix them
in the peanut butter.

songbird

Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 23:49:36 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?

Use the rat trap & bait with peanut butter. IMHO they are just as or more so
tasty than squirrel. You just need more for a meal.

if you have ants and birds around you may want
to put them under a box with gaps in the sides.
otherwise you'll find birds in the rat traps too.

if you have extra sunflower seeds i mix them
in the peanut butter.

songbird

I have never found birds in the rat traps, but I always set them in
chipmunk runs between plants or tubs on the deck. IT isn't hard to see
where they are coming from and in the "real" garden, they leave
obvious holes. And really, there is no need to use anything beyond the
cheapest scrapings from an peanut butter jar. Frankly, I don't cater
meals to critters I am looking to knock off and I don't have trouble
getting them in the plain traps, either, with just a hint of peanut
butter scent and "l'eau de dead chipmunk."

I have found many odd creatures in the Have-a-Heart traps we set out
for groundhogs, though...skunks, possums, raccoons, cats, crows....and
the groundhogs, natch.

Boron
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

I'll get a bunch of rat traps at Home Depot today, a couple of the mouse
traps that I set out yesterday were tripped but they didn't catch
anything. I'm also going to get some rat poison. The area around my
blueberries is fully netted so catching birds won't be a problem.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar wrote:
-snip-
I have found many odd creatures in the Have-a-Heart traps we set out
for groundhogs, though...skunks, possums, raccoons, cats, crows....and
the groundhogs, natch.

Never got a crow-- but I've gotten the rest of your assortment-- and a
Fisher. As fierce as they look, he was as docile as the skunks. [and
I released him the same way- with a blanket and extreme cautiong]

Jim
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Schvantzkoph View Post
I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any
poisons that are good for chipmunks?
Hi,

I found this site called Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks:

Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks

I’m hoping you guys would be willing to give these a try? We have a bunch of chipmunks living around our yard and we have a garden and never had a problem. I have a soft spot when it comes to animals and figure they are just trying to survive in this world like the rest of us. I’m hoping these ideas will help you all.
Thanks for considering this.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 06:44:06 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
-snip-
I have found many odd creatures in the Have-a-Heart traps we set out
for groundhogs, though...skunks, possums, raccoons, cats, crows....and
the groundhogs, natch.

Never got a crow-- but I've gotten the rest of your assortment-- and a
Fisher. As fierce as they look, he was as docile as the skunks. [and
I released him the same way- with a blanket and extreme cautiong]

Jim

Wow. We do not have them around here at all. I do not think I'd like
to confront an angry one in a trap, either.

Boron

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Chipmunks don't eat that much compared to the good on Norway rat.

Anyway here is another take on the subject.

http://blog.audubonguides.com/2010/0...s-living-the-g
ood-life/

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:27:24 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 06:44:06 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
-snip-
I have found many odd creatures in the Have-a-Heart traps we set out
for groundhogs, though...skunks, possums, raccoons, cats, crows....and
the groundhogs, natch.

Never got a crow-- but I've gotten the rest of your assortment-- and a
Fisher. As fierce as they look, he was as docile as the skunks. [and
I released him the same way- with a blanket and extreme cautiong]

Jim

Wow. We do not have them around here at all. I do not think I'd like
to confront an angry one in a trap, either.

If he had been angry I would have dispatched him from a distance-- but
he was sleeping in the morning and just looked at me when I spoke to
him.

So I got the 'skunk blanket' - approached again - covered the trap,
and opened the door. He sauntered out in about 10 minutes and
walked into the woods. I wished him a long and fruitful life and
recommended he eat squirrels instead of porcupines.

Jim
Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

I hope no favorite pets visit around your blueberries.

My cats are indoor cats, if they were outdoor cats I wouldn't have a
chipmunk problem. My last cat was an outdoor cat and he killed at least
one chipmunk a day. Unfortunately the Coyote population has skyrocketed
since the ACME corporation settled with the Consumer Products Safety
Commission. It's no longer safe to let cats roam outdoors so I have to
rely on traps and poison.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:25:58 +0000, fuzzy2010 wrote:

General Schvantzkoph;961002 Wrote:
I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats
in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any

poisons that are good for chipmunks?

Hi,

I found this site called Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks:

'Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks' (http://tinyurl.com/36p788r)

IÂ’m hoping you guys would be willing to give these a try? We have a
bunch of chipmunks living around our yard and we have a garden and never
had a problem. I have a soft spot when it comes to animals and figure
they are just trying to survive in this world like the rest of us. IÂ’m
hoping these ideas will help you all. Thanks for considering this.

I've tried a number of things on that list, they don't work. Plastic owls
don't fool anybody, I tried one and the birds used it as a perch. I've
also tried used kitty litter, that was the worst mistake I ever made in my
garden. Kitty litter turns into a slurry when it gets wet, and once wet it
never dries and it stays around forever. After several years of stepping
into kitty litter quicksand I dug it out and buried it in the woods. I am
using Critter Ridder repellent, I have no evidence one way or the other on
that so I bought so more this year out of shear desperation.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:25:58 +0000, fuzzy2010 wrote:

-snip-
'Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks' (http://tinyurl.com/36p788r)

-snip-
I've tried a number of things on that list, they don't work. Plastic owls
don't fool anybody, I tried one and the birds used it as a perch.

I'd be tempted to get one of those owls for the photo opportunity--
but they are way too expensive.

I love the 'review' on the live trap-
" I ordered it and within 30 minutes of getting it and setting it up I
heard the "Snap" of the trap. Sure enough, I finally had safely
trapped the chipmunk. I delivered him to the arboretum across the
street, where I hope he lived happily ever after."

1 chipmunk? Moved him all the way across the street? That's rich.

The fox urine *is* a possibility, though. I used liquid fence for a
rascally rabbit one year & it seemed to work. [that bugger was a
ghost-- got through fences, never showed himself when I was armed, and
would *not* go in a trap] Expensive, and a pain in the butt--- but
it worked.

The ultrasonic repellent might be worth $15 to try, too.

-snip-
into kitty litter quicksand I dug it out and buried it in the woods. I am
using Critter Ridder repellent, I have no evidence one way or the other on
that so I bought so more this year out of shear desperation.

Have the chipmunks kept coming after you used it? That look's like a
pepper/capsicum based one. I've tried them with squirrels and they
were useless.

Jim

chipmunks eating tomatoes frinjdwelr Gardening 11 17-07-2012 06:43 PM
Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
defense against squirrels and chipmunks seepnezorf1 Gardening 5 22-09-2003 01:14 AM
chipmunks swim Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 0 12-05-2003 01:08 PM
*#^!$%& Chipmunks ate liner last winter Roger Bennett Ponds 9 22-04-2003 01:44 AM