Old 13-06-2012, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Little Tiny White Things

My Peppers in the Greenhouse and the Zucchini in a pot just out side
the door are covered with little white specks. They don't move, are
they eggs? If so eggs of what? How do I get rid of them. I just water
sprayed them down and got rid of most of them but if they are eggs I
sure don't want them to hatch. Any Help?

MJ

Old 14-06-2012, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
My Peppers in the Greenhouse and the Zucchini in a pot just out side
the door are covered with little white specks. They don't move, are
they eggs? If so eggs of what? How do I get rid of them. I just water
sprayed them down and got rid of most of them but if they are eggs I
sure don't want them to hatch. Any Help?

MJ

Do you have any hemlock trees nearby? If so, it could be the wooly adeljid.
They appear as tiny white specks and recent storms could have dislodged
them.
Steve

Old 14-06-2012, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 13, 7:25*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
wrote in message

My Peppers in the Greenhouse and the Zucchini in a pot just out side
the door are covered with little white specks. They don't move, are
they eggs? If so eggs of what? How do I get rid of them. I just water
sprayed them down and got rid of most of them but if they are eggs I
sure don't want them to hatch. Any Help?

MJ

Do you have any hemlock trees nearby? If so, it could be the wooly adeljid.
They appear as tiny white specks and recent storms could have dislodged
them.
Steve

No Hemlock. I just looked better under the leaves and I think they are
Aphids. I am just used to them being on the top side of the Roses.
Does this diagnosis fit with the white specks? I got the plants out of
the greenhouse and sprayed them with my insectiside / fungal rose
spray. Will they bother the Tomatoes? They are what I most care about.
I hate to spray them and frankly they are HUGE plants and I could
never spray enough to get all the leaves
Old 14-06-2012, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message

[...]

Consult google images for pictures of aphids for confirmation. You will see
that they come in many colours and styles. Green, brown and black are
common, I haven't seen white but that doesn't mean there is no such thing.

David

Old 14-06-2012, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message

[...]

Google is not my friend. I spent an hour before I went and got my
gardening books.

Old 16-06-2012, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Consult google images for pictures of aphids for confirmation. You will see
that they come in many colours and styles. Green, brown and black are
common, I haven't seen white but that doesn't mean there is no such thing.

yellow and orange are two other colors of
aphids i've seen here. not the past few years
though. the lady beetles are well established.

songbird