GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any 1 use a hotbin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/204101-any-1-use-hotbin.html)

growvege 19-06-2012 10:45 AM

Any 1 use a hotbin

Hi we have had a hotbin for 3 weeks now, it would not heat up, but it was my fault lol, put to much compost from my darlic compost bin into it.
So changed to a grass and old food mixture, it shot up to over 70c .
Then i added more food waste and grass and garden waste, it not is at 48c.
how can i keep it hoter at around 60c ??.

Sean Straw 19-06-2012 05:31 PM

Any 1 use a hotbin

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:45:39 +0000, growvege
wrote:

Hi we have had a hotbin for 3 weeks now, it would not heat up, but it
was my fault lol, put to much compost from my darlic compost bin into
it.

'darlic' ? The closest I come is "dalek" -

http://frugalkiwi.co.nz/2010/07/dalek-compost-bin/

I would expect any proper compost bin to be geared towards generating
a proper composting environment - provided that the original material
has a proper C:N balance and the mass has some aeration. If the
environment is right, the compost mass will produce heat. What about
your old bin makes it NOT also a "hotbin" ?

So changed to a grass and old food mixture, it shot up to over 70c .
Then i added more food waste and grass and garden waste, it not is at
48c.

Sounds like you've got WAY too much "N" and not nearly enough "C".
Shredded straw, dried grass or leaves ("leaf mold") would increase
your "C".

growvege 22-06-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Straw (Post 962298)
wrote:

[...]

Got the hotbin upto 70c for last few days boy it is working great.

growvege 22-06-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by growvege (Post 962610)
Got the hotbin upto 70c for last few days boy it is working great.

The HOTBIN is a compost bin that actualy heats up, without electric.

HotBinComposting. Hotbin AC200 Product - Quickly Compost Food and Garden Waste

the link above will show the hotbin , not 2 seperated words.

And the 70c i speek of is the tempreture. I now have the temp gage inside showing 70c.
You can put all food waste in it inc meat, bones and fish, jest crush them or chop them up.