Old 26-06-2012, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Purslane?

I've been (not-very-successfully) fighting purslane in our garden for
years. Now, I hear that maybe it's a beneficial companion. ...
(http://www.ehow.com/facts_7215746_pu...on-plants.html

Or maybe just wishful thinking? If anyone has had any good experiences
with it, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,

(I realize it's considered a delicacy in France. 'nuf said.)
Old 26-06-2012, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George" wrote in message
I've been (not-very-successfully) fighting purslane in our garden for
years. Now, I hear that maybe it's a beneficial companion. ...
(http://www.ehow.com/facts_7215746_pu...on-plants.html

Or maybe just wishful thinking? If anyone has had any good experiences
with it, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,

(I realize it's considered a delicacy in France. 'nuf said.)

Stop fighting and start eating. I eat what little I can find and could
easily sell large amounts to the local restaurants. I assure you there's a
market for it if you'll just look. I know of a couple of commercial
gardeners who grow it to sell.
Steve

Old 27-06-2012, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:52:21 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.. .
I've been (not-very-successfully) fighting purslane in our garden for
years. Now, I hear that maybe it's a beneficial companion. ...
(http://www.ehow.com/facts_7215746_pu...on-plants.html

Or maybe just wishful thinking? If anyone has had any good experiences
with it, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,

(I realize it's considered a delicacy in France. 'nuf said.)

Stop fighting and start eating.

+1 on that. Purslane was absent from my garden for years and I was
real happy to see it return this year.

If I were able to take the best flavor of lemon, the crunch of romaine
lettuce, and a splash of the mucilaginous okra, I would 're-invent'
the purslane plant.

Jim
Old 27-06-2012, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George wrote:
I've been (not-very-successfully) fighting purslane in our garden for
years. Now, I hear that maybe it's a beneficial companion. ...
(http://www.ehow.com/facts_7215746_pu...on-plants.html

Or maybe just wishful thinking? If anyone has had any good
experiences with it, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,

(I realize it's considered a delicacy in France. 'nuf said.)

The idea of multi-planting is not new. If you need some ground cover (other
than mulch) then under planting larger plants with a low growing herb will
be fine as long as there is not too much root competition, or as long as you
find the compromise satisfactory. It is very common to under plant
ornamentals (eg roses) so why not annuals and edibles? If you have no use
for one of the plants however the result is not such a good use of space.
Instead of making assumptions about purslane try it in a salad and see if
you like it - if your Francophobia permits :-)

There is much waffle published about 'companion planting' along the lines of
"X likes Y but not Z". Except for cases of allopathy where X produces an
identifiable substance that limits the growth of Z, there is little evidence
to show that these likes and dislikes are anything substantial. This does
not seem to be the effect that is described in the linked article but it is
what many mean by 'companion planting' so before discussing you probably
should find out what is intended.

David

Old 28-06-2012, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks for the replies. Just for clarity, we do eat purslane, but the
'crop' considerably exceeds our consumption. My concern is more whether
it's detrimental to other plants. I don't think I understand 'weeds',
despite all the time and energy that I put into removing them. Maybe
that would be another post.

George

Mizuna and Winter Purslane ajr United Kingdom 9 08-07-2010 01:29 PM
Purslane Christina Websell[_2_] United Kingdom 20 07-05-2010 09:01 PM
Purslane Highest plant with omega 3 Bill who putters Gardening 1 15-03-2010 02:17 AM
Purslane zxcvbob Edible Gardening 33 30-08-2007 01:53 PM
Looking for a local source for Golden Purslane (Portulaca sativa) La Vie Dansante Texas 0 04-06-2005 02:46 AM