GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   garlic end game (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/204228-garlic-end-game.html)

George[_10_] 28-06-2012 12:52 PM

garlic end game

For onions (and shallots?), I've read that you should "expose the upper
2/3 of the bulb after the stalks start to yellow." Assuming that's a
good idea, does the same apply to garlic?

Thanks,
George

Gary Woods[_2_] 28-06-2012 07:56 PM

garlic end game

George wrote:

Assuming that's a
good idea, does the same apply to garlic?

Garlic sunburns easily, so I wouldn't. Growers who have a lot to harvest
generally have some sort of roofed wagon/truck to put the bulbs in as they
pull/dig.

echinosum 03-07-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George[_10_] (Post 963018)
For onions (and shallots?), I've read that you should "expose the upper 2/3 of the bulb after the stalks start to yellow." Assuming that's a good idea, does the same apply to garlic?

No. If you've seen fresh garlic, ie not semi-dried like most of it, for sale, you'll see what nice fresh garlic looks like.

My garlic is usually suprisingly deep underground, so it isn't practical either.