GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Funghi question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/204366-funghi-question.html)

Denno666 08-07-2012 03:57 PM

Funghi question

I'm growing some dwarf French bean plants in separate, quite deep containers but in one of them there have just recently appeared quite a few small mushroom type things. I'm not sure what they are but can describe them as being small, white/grey and quite fragile - when i was watering them they were knocked over very easily. Does anybody a) know what they are and b) know if the beans that are starting to form will be ok to eat?

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 08-07-2012 06:18 PM

Funghi question

Denno666 said:

I'm growing some dwarf French bean plants in separate, quite deep
containers but in one of them there have just recently appeared quite a
few small mushroom type things. I'm not sure what they are but can
describe them as being small, white/grey and quite fragile - when i was
watering them they were knocked over very easily. Does anybody a) know
what they are and b) know if the beans that are starting to form will be
ok to eat?

The fungi is almost certainly growing on the organic matter in the potting
soil. I've seen very small, fragile mushrooms like this actually sprouting
from my compost pile when the conditions (temperature, moisture) are
right. Pull out the mushrooms if they bother you.

The beans themselves will be safe to eat.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 09-07-2012 12:26 AM

Funghi question

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Denno666 said:

I'm growing some dwarf French bean plants in separate, quite deep
containers but in one of them there have just recently appeared
quite a few small mushroom type things. I'm not sure what they are
but can describe them as being small, white/grey and quite fragile -
when i was watering them they were knocked over very easily. Does
anybody a) know what they are and b) know if the beans that are
starting to form will be ok to eat?

The fungi is almost certainly growing on the organic matter in the
potting soil. I've seen very small, fragile mushrooms like this
actually sprouting from my compost pile when the conditions
(temperature, moisture) are right. Pull out the mushrooms if they
bother you.

The beans themselves will be safe to eat.

Agreed, the fungus has nothing to do with the beans, even if it is toxic the
beans won't pick up the toxins. The garden is always full of fungi of one
kind or another, especially when damp, this is very much part of the normal
natural re-cycling system. We don't notice many of them because they don't
have obvious fruiting bodies like mushrooms.