Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardeners

Looks like the gardeners of the group are gone?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
Looks like the gardeners of the group are gone?

It looks to me like the all the usual suspects are still here. RGE has
never been a high volume NG. Why do you say they have gone?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It looks to me like the all the usual suspects are still here.

Happens this time every year....they're all out in the garden....

Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 12, 12:03*am, barbie gee wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Gary Woods wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It looks to me like the all the usual suspects are still here.

Happens this time every year....they're all out in the garden....

whatcha need?

Nothing really, it has just been so hot here I have been inside too
much. The weeds have taken over and the plants are turning brown and I
just can't take the heat and humidity. Either I am getting old or it
is worse this year

MJ
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

barbie gee wrote:

whatcha need?

Nothing really, it has just been so hot here I have been inside too
much. The weeds have taken over and the plants are turning brown and I
just can't take the heat and humidity. Either I am getting old or it
is worse this year

i suspect it is both, since we get older every year!

and for me it's a few lbs heavier which makes me
tolerate heat less. good thing the heat is here as
i'm finally able to peel off that extra winter weight.
but when it gets to be near 90 i feel it much more
than i did previously. it hasn't helped to have the
AC on as that makes it way too easy to not sweat it
off. still drink a lot of water and stay in midday
for a siesta. this is when i get caught up on
e-mail, usenet, reading and other frogging around.

we have drought conditions in Chicagoland, and it's hard to keep up
watering. I've let the lawn go dormant. Keeping the trees and perennials
watered is my main focus.

much the same here. about 2-3 inches of rain the
past 8wks. i'm glad now that many plants are big
enough to have deep roots. i water deeply and less
often. also glad to see the soil mostly covered
by green (beans, tomatoes, onions, chard, beets,
peppers all going gonzo). will be out watering
tomorrow or Saturday.

songbird

Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 12, 1:00*pm, songbird wrote:
barbie gee wrote:

[...]

Remind me again where you are? Sometimes I think you are in western
North Carolina and other times I don't. I am in south eastern North
Carolina with no rain. Fortunately we live on a lake and use it for
the irragation system. UN fortunately the lake is down about 20 inches
so boating is a bit of an issue
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It looks to me like the all the usual suspects are still here.

Happens this time every year....they're all out in the garden....

whatcha need?

Nothing really, it has just been so hot here I have been inside too
much. The weeds have taken over and the plants are turning brown and I
just can't take the heat and humidity. Either I am getting old or it
is worse this year

MJ

I got to spend 2 hours in the garden this morning. I was able to trim
back all of the squash plants and low and behold there is a bunch of
new growth, flowers and all, coming. Even the cucumbers have some
green and flowers. Perhaps things are not as grim as I had thought. I
trimed back the tomato plants in the greenhouse too. They have about
reached their life expectancy. I have some new ones started and some
of the plants have restarted themselves. A few weeks and I will cut
them way back and start a new crop.
Thanks for sticking around folks, its good to chat again
MJ
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
songbird wrote:

....drought...

Â* much the same here. Â*about 2-3 inches of rain the
past 8wks. Â*i'm glad now that many plants are big
enough to have deep roots. Â*i water deeply and less
often. Â*also glad to see the soil mostly covered
by green (beans, tomatoes, onions, chard, beets,
peppers all going gonzo). Â*will be out watering
tomorrow or Saturday.

Remind me again where you are? Sometimes I think you are in western
North Carolina and other times I don't. I am in south eastern North
Carolina with no rain. Fortunately we live on a lake and use it for
the irragation system. UN fortunately the lake is down about 20 inches
so boating is a bit of an issue

i'm east and north of Chicago by several hours as
the crow flies and probably a few hours north and a bit
west of Pat in Plymouth, MI if i swoop in her direction.
or, mid-Michigan... look up Brant, MI, we are close to
there.

i did live in the hills of eastern TN for a few years,
but that was quite a while ago now (loved swimming in
the Watauga Resevoir and hiking the AT for day hikes...).
remember very well how fast that resevoir water level
would sink in the dry summers.

the water situation here is ok at present in terms
of the well. it is pretty deep. still we try to not
overdo it when it comes to irrigation since the plants
do so much better on rain water. there are also two
almost constantly running ditches, but these are
agricultural runoff and so i would want to set up a
wetland to filter the water before using it in the
gardens.

songbird