Old 18-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
I tried one a week or so ago and it had no heat whatsoever and the skin was very thin and tough. Maybe just under ripe?
They need a bit of sun and warmth to develop hotness. Though they should have some as they turn red - usually at their hottest as they have just turned red.

Yes, in a larger pot the plant will increase in size.

Overwintering is a bit tricky, but a cool conservatory such as you have is probably the best kind of place for it. Some inexpert friends succeeded in overwintering a chilli in just such a location - probably gave it enough inattention - and it is in a ridiculously small pot.
Old 18-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered User

That's great advice Billy, thank you.

It's been a really warm afternoon today and I gave them a good soaking yesterday and the top half inch of soil is just slightly moist so I am hoping it has been a good day for the plants today. We are apparently getting some warmer weather soon so I am hoping they will thrive especially as my Habanero and Serrano are budding now

My Jalapeno are doing well, really tall plant, not masses of fruit yet but what I have is really plump and shiney!

Thanks again!

I haven't seen the pot, but no matter what the size is (echinosum is
right in that you will get a larger yield from a larger pot) you may
also want to paint it black to increase its thermal absorption. Perhaps
a tomato arbor with plastic sheeting pulled over it until the weather
improves. Be sure to allow for ventilation, so that the plant doesn't
get too hot ( 90F/32C) The top half inch of the potting soil should be
dry before you water. If you should happen to have some hot weather,
definitely don't let it go dry.
Too much water, and fertilizer, and the plant will think it still has a
long time to go before it needs to make seeds, and won't set flowers.
Old 22-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered User

Update:

I tested one of my regular chillies yesterday. Nice and hot!

I think they were just under ripe. It started gentle and built to a nice burn on the tongue and throat. Can't wait for the hotter peppers to grow!

It's a much warmer day today and the plants are basking in the sunshine.

Thanks,
Stevie

Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered User

I am having real problems with all of my chilli varieties now!

All plants are showing signs of yellowing on any new buds and some plants are getting yellow lower leaves that are then dropping off.

My Serrano are just starting to produce fruit and my Habanero are flowering but my older, larger plants are suffering. The fruit that they have seems healthy and many are starting to go red but no new fruit at all sadly.

Weather is poor with very little sunshine and night time temps are getting to around 10 degrees celcius,

I am thinking it is just too cold at the moment?

Stevie
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying!

Stevie wrote:
Weather is poor with very little sunshine and night time temps are
getting to around 10 degrees celcius,

I am thinking it is just too cold at the moment?

yes, chili need sun and warmth.

songbird

Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Stevie wrote:

I am having real problems with all of my chilli varieties now!

All plants are showing signs of yellowing on any new buds and some
plants are getting yellow lower leaves that are then dropping off.

My Serrano are just starting to produce fruit and my Habanero are
flowering but my older, larger plants are suffering. The fruit that they
have seems healthy and many are starting to go red but no new fruit at
all sadly.

Weather is poor with very little sunshine and night time temps are
getting to around 10 degrees celcius,

I am thinking it is just too cold at the moment?

Stevie

Growing in a northern climate such as the UK can present a challenge.
Cayenne peppers will flower and fruit much earlier than varieties such
as habanero, scotch bonnet or naga. These slower varieties require much
more heat and light. and, in northern latitudes, are best kept in a
conservatory or greenhouse to ensure they fruit as soon as possible.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 15-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Stevie,

I live in Surrey, my chillies are still outdoors.
The varieties you are cultivating are not UK friendly, specially for the North.

(I buy my plants from Wilkinsons of all places, cheap and mostly OK.)

From the photos your plants appear to have not bushed out.

When 8-12" tall I cut the tops out, as you would with a tomato plant.
Attached are some photos of my plants.

Kind Regards
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying!-2012_08150003.jpg   Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying!-2012_08150004.jpg

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying! Stevie Edible Gardening 0 14-07-2012 05:30 PM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Chilli flower buds Crundy[_2_] United Kingdom 4 02-09-2008 09:16 PM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM