Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered User

Default anyone know much about grapevines ?

My gran during one of her many visits to aldi supermarket picked up a couple of grape vine plants in pots from there, and gave one to me, it is about.. 6 inches tall or so in a pot.

Ive just repotted it into a larger one and put it outside with a bamboo cane/stake to support it for now against a fence, Ive been browsing the interwebz so far and found a lot of stuff about training them to grow properly and all that stuff, but every video Ive seen is demonstrated with a plant thats like 6 feet tall.

Every vid Ive watched tho seems to indicate that you should cut any side growth off to promote upwards growth, but does this pretty much mean removing EVERYTHING as it has a few branches on it with leaves on, but I am not sure if everyone of them branches would be a potential lateral growth that I do need to trim back for now or if they are simply branches for leaves to form on for photosynthesis purposes ? I don't wanna go to town on this thing and leave it bare ass naked basically.

or should I leave it for a few weeks and let it grow naturally until its a decent size before doing anything to it ?

cheers in advance guys