Old 16-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered User

Default North Facing Window to Grow From

I have no garden space to grow in and I really want to grow some berries and veg so I was going to use my bedroom window which sadly is north facing, it is an average/small window would I still be able to grow here?
Old 16-08-2012, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
James Dawson wrote:

I have no garden space to grow in and I really want to grow some berries
and veg so I was going to use my bedroom window which sadly is north
facing, it is an average/small window would I still be able to grow
here?

With a north facing window, you should take up painting (The shadows
don't move as much.).

It is very unlikely you will be able to grow anything except mold.
Lettuce, Swiss chard, and spinach don't need a lot of light, but they do
require some. The rest of the vegetables require at least 6 - 8 hr. of
full sunlight/day.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 16-08-2012, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James Dawson wrote:
I have no garden space to grow in and I really want to grow some
berries and veg so I was going to use my bedroom window which sadly
is north facing, it is an average/small window would I still be able
to grow here?

I presume that you are in the northern hemisphere (it matters and you are in
an international group here) so berries and most vegies are out. You might
grow some salad greens if the window gets light all day and the pot/tub is
right in front of it. Vegetables are not good indoor plants so don't expect
much.

Old 16-08-2012, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James Dawson wrote:

I have no garden space to grow in and I really want to grow some berries
and veg so I was going to use my bedroom window which sadly is north
facing, it is an average/small window would I still be able to grow
here?

Not much from the window alone (assuming northern hemisphere.) If you
don't mind running a light 12-16 hours a day you can grow pretty much
whatever you want where ever you want it (given space) but it does cost
a certain amount both to set up and to run every day. Supplementing the
window light will be most cost efficient (some free light is better than
none) but non-window locations work, and if built nicely can become a
focal point in the house - quite nice on those gray days.

In my experience you do not need "special grow lights" or some of the
other stuff that's sold at outrageous prices for the purpose - plain old
cool white or warm white or a mix of cool and warm white fluorescent
tubes work fine. Mixing in some red-light sources to add to them helps a
few things a little - the old way was to run a few incandescent bulbs as
well, nowadays you might want red LEDs or the like.

Also look into community gardens or allotments - if you don't have a
place to grow stuff at your house, you might be able to grow stuff
outside, just not at your house.