Old 19-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered User

Default sweetcorn help

My sweetcorn are going great this year despite the weather. However I've got a small problem

On all the hobs (or is it cobs?) The stingy bits have been eaten by something. By the millions of slugs I seems to have on my allotment this year I'm assuming it's them. Hopefully they've already been pollinated. So far I have peeled back the skin to let more of the stringy bits out.

Any more advice? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 20-08-2012, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jason2234 wrote:
My sweetcorn are going great this year despite the weather. However
I've got a small problem

On all the hobs (or is it cobs?) The stingy bits have been eaten by
something. By the millions of slugs I seems to have on my allotment
this year I'm assuming it's them. Hopefully they've already been
pollinated. So far I have peeled back the skin to let more of the
stringy bits out.

Any more advice? Has this happened to anyone else?

It could be birds or rodents too.

Old 20-08-2012, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
jason2234 wrote:

My sweetcorn are going great this year despite the weather. However I've
got a small problem

On all the hobs (or is it cobs?) The stingy bits have been eaten by
something. By the millions of slugs I seems to have on my allotment this
year I'm assuming it's them. Hopefully they've already been pollinated.
So far I have peeled back the skin to let more of the stringy bits out.

Any more advice? Has this happened to anyone else?

Go to a nursery and ask for a snail/slug bait in which the active
ingredient is "iron phosphate" (actually it is ferric phosphate, but
that's another story). It is safe for vegetables. Non-poisonous to pets,
unless you have a pet gastropod. It is even a food supplement for
humans, but deadly to snails/slugs. Forty-eight hours later, 98% of you
slug and snail problems will be history. You will need to reapply every
couple of weeks, but gives nearly 100% protection.

You can still peel back the jacket of the corn a wee bit, and brush the
the tassels against the silks to pollinate the corn. A lot of work, but
you'll get a crop.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 20-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the replays. I'll be pollinating asap thanks for the tip for the slugs will give it a go as its just out of controll this year especially as the allotments either side of me aren't being looked after this year and are very over grown
Old 20-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2234 View Post
My sweetcorn are going great this year despite the weather. However I've got a small problem

On all the hobs (or is it cobs?) The stingy bits have been eaten by something. By the millions of slugs I seems to have on my allotment this year I'm assuming it's them. Hopefully they've already been pollinated. So far I have peeled back the skin to let more of the stringy bits out.

Any more advice? Has this happened to anyone else?
A simple but effective advice to for your plant care. Put a tablespoon of cornmeal in a jab and lay it on the sides wherever you find slugs. The slugs love this stuff and after eating it they die. Place used coffee grounds (the stronger the better) or broken egg shells in a circular perimeter around the plant. This will kill the slugs. Use sand. PUt sand around your young plants. Be generous with the sand. Slugs hate sand because it rips their bellies open and they die.
Fruit Trees