Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered User

Default Tomato Alicante

I am new to gardening and this year tried growing tomato plants. All have grown but the tomatoes either stay green or they turn brown.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 13-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg1965 View Post
I am new to gardening and this year tried growing tomato plants. All have grown but the tomatoes either stay green or they turn brown.
What am I doing wrong?
I have had the same problem this season, maybe its the wet weather we had, I will be interested in seeing some experts reply to this threat myself
Old 13-09-2012, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Butternut squash no fruit

Mandy Hall said:

I have a healthly looking plant which is taking over the patch. but so
far only male flowers and not a single fruit. Shall I pull it up as its
mid september.

Assuming you are located in the UK, it's probably too late to expect
any fruit to set and mature before the days get too short and cool.

Next time, try pruning out the growing tip shortly after the vine
starts to run, to encourage side growth. Let at least two plants
grow in a 'hill.' If you can get your hands on some good manure,
bury it under your squash 'hill.'

Squash like *very* warm weather and abundant sunshine. Where I
live we had an extremely hot, dry summer early-to-mid summer.
The squash I'm growing this year are gigantic in comparison to a
more normal year. (The only other vegetable that also did better
than normal was eggplant.)

The biggest are two of the varieties shown on this page (Musquée de
Provence and Pleine de Naples):

http://www.kokopelli-seed-foundation.../new_news.cgi?
id_news=13
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 26-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Location: North East England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Hall View Post
I have had the same problem this season, maybe its the wet weather we had, I will be interested in seeing some experts reply to this threat myself
yeah, same here the fruits seem to rot before they ripen.....I tried to alleviate the problem but putting them up against the house walls under the eaves, but still not doing much!

My two dogs enjoyed them tho....which is another problem!!!!