Old 15-09-2012, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato variety "Jetsonic"

A couple of years ago, Totally Tomatoes sent out sample packets of
Jetsonic tomato seeds. I still have mine, and am thinking about
planting them next year because they are supposed to be earlier than my
favorite, Better Boy. My BB's are just now finally getting ripe, 3
weeks later than my friends' tomatoes. (I did get them in the ground
late, but usually they catch up)

I can't find anything about this variety, and TT doesn't list it
anymore. Did anybody else get a packet and actually plant them? How'd
you like 'em?

--
Bob
Old 15-09-2012, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
A couple of years ago, Totally Tomatoes sent out sample packets of
Jetsonic tomato seeds. I still have mine, and am thinking about
planting them next year because they are supposed to be earlier than
my favorite, Better Boy. My BB's are just now finally getting ripe, 3
weeks later than my friends' tomatoes. (I did get them in the ground
late, but usually they catch up)

I can't find anything about this variety, and TT doesn't list it
anymore. Did anybody else get a packet and actually plant them? How'd you
like 'em?

I cannot make a sensible contribution but I can wonder about the name. Are
you sure these are tomatoes and not some kind of lentils or beans?

I wouldn't wait too long to plant them as the seeds will already be less
than 100% viable.

Old 15-09-2012, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

A couple of years ago, Totally Tomatoes sent out sample packets of
Jetsonic tomato seeds. I still have mine, and am thinking about
planting them next year because they are supposed to be earlier than
my favorite, Better Boy. My BB's are just now finally getting ripe, 3
weeks later than my friends' tomatoes. (I did get them in the ground
late, but usually they catch up)

I can't find anything about this variety, and TT doesn't list it
anymore. Did anybody else get a packet and actually plant them? How'd you
like 'em?

I cannot make a sensible contribution but I can wonder about the name. Are
you sure these are tomatoes and not some kind of lentils or beans?

i think you've slipped a cog here David, the
company name _Totally Tomatoes_... and, i'm pretty
sure most gardeners can tell the difference between
a bean/lentil and a tomato seed.

I wouldn't wait too long to plant them as the seeds will already be less
than 100% viable.

this part i do agree with.

songbird
Old 15-09-2012, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, September 14, 2012 5:56:33 PM UTC-6, zxcvbob wrote:
A couple of years ago, Totally Tomatoes sent out sample packets of

Jetsonic tomato seeds. I still have mine, and am thinking about

planting them next year because they are supposed to be earlier than my

favorite, Better Boy. My BB's are just now finally getting ripe, 3

weeks later than my friends' tomatoes. (I did get them in the ground

late, but usually they catch up)

I can't find anything about this variety, and TT doesn't list it

anymore. Did anybody else get a packet and actually plant them? How'd

you like 'em?

--

Bob

Google is your friend. Lots of info there.

Old 15-09-2012, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Roy wrote:

Google is your friend. Lots of info there.

Really? I found lots of hits but almost *no* info. (most of the hits
were computer generated gibberish:
When leaving the boat one of the jetsonic volunteers took by mistake
seeds the lighter result no cooker no coffee no hot meals also the
autopilot did...

Bob

Old 15-09-2012, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:57:26 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

A couple of years ago, Totally Tomatoes sent out sample packets of
Jetsonic tomato seeds. I still have mine, and am thinking about
planting them next year because they are supposed to be earlier than my
favorite, Better Boy. My BB's are just now finally getting ripe, 3
weeks later than my friends' tomatoes. (I did get them in the ground
late, but usually they catch up)

I can't find anything about this variety, and TT doesn't list it
anymore. Did anybody else get a packet and actually plant them? How'd
you like 'em?

I got a sample packet in 2009 according to the date. It says that
they are supposed to mature in 68 days after transplanting. I
evidently planted them in 2009 but my spreadsheet for that year seems
to end in early July with none picked. Since I did not plant them
again I must have decided that they were not spectacular.

My Better Boy packets say that they mature in 78 days.

I have decided that Early Girls do not mature enough earlier than
Better Boys to make it worth the trouble.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 15-09-2012, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Susan. I will plant them next year, but will also plant a few
BB's just in case the Jetsonic are a bust. (there might be a reason the
variety disappeared -- like if they are mushy, or all red and no flavor)

Bob
Old 15-09-2012, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

If I can find a later version of my 2009 spreadsheet I can get an idea
of how productive (or not) they were.

Where are you located? My tomatoes are just about done for. There
are a few plants with small green ones on them. I don't think that
there will be any more sets since the night temps are getting down
into the 50's. Peppers and okra are still happy.
Old 15-09-2012, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

I'm in SE Minnesota. Zone 4. My okra and peppers have been producing
for about a month, but are just now kicking into high gear (I think it's
a daylength thing.) I think my squash is finished, but that's mainly
because the dogs kept running through it. The okra is too big to
trample, and the peppers and tomatoes are in wire cages.

Next year I will try harder to keep the dogs out of the garden, but also
will crisscross everything with wires so it's no fun to run through.

Bob
Old 18-09-2012, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

LouPhillips wrote:
zxcvbob;968799 Wrote:
A couple of years ago, Totally Tomatoes sent out sample packets of
Jetsonic tomato seeds. I still have mine, and am thinking about
planting them next year because they are supposed to be earlier than
my

favorite, Better Boy. My BB's are just now finally getting ripe, 3
weeks later than my friends' tomatoes. (I did get them in the ground
late, but usually they catch up)

I can't find anything about this variety, and TT doesn't list it
anymore. Did anybody else get a packet and actually plant them?
How'd

you like 'em?

--
Bob

After reading your post i have found that your post is really amazing
interesting and informative also keep posting that kind of posts.

Are you doing some sort of course where the tutor tells you to get online
and post something positive?