Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato variety change and taste test

After a sunny, mostly warm (for Pacific NW) summer, we did a taste test
on our tomatoes this weekend. We were particularly interested in the
Early Cascade [EC] and Champion-II [C2] tomatoes. The ECs availability
disappeared suddenly a few years ago, but though a hybrid some have tried
to continue the line. Champion disappeared this year, seemingly replaced
by C2.

The verdict is not a happy one. The ECs, once our favorite early season
variety (sure, it had a thick skin and was on the small side) took
forever to start producing. And after a few weeks of the first ripening,
the taste is - mediocre.

Champions once were on the cusp of whether they'd ripen in our coastal
climate before cold set in. The C2s are earlier to ripen, but like the
new ECs have barely any flavor at all.

These used to our favorites

We had one very pleasant surprise. A new variety for us "Kimberly" was
both early and tasty (if a bit on the sweet rather than tangy side).
Smaller than we'd like it, nearly a cherry, but still very productive.

"Fireworks" had amazing sprays of flowers, and a tolerable flavor, but
wasn't that productive, and the plants weakened from a probable fungal
disorder that seems prevalent in this area.

I'd be delighted if others would share what they've learned - we're
definitely going to be trying new varieties next year! We're especially
interested in early to mid season as we don't get enough heat here to
ripen most varieties.