GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   i don't think this is edible (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/205465-i-dont-think-edible.html)

songbird[_2_] 16-10-2012 07:37 AM

i don't think this is edible

and so strange looking to find in a garden:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7115_Baby_Stinkhorn.jpg

since the Halloween is almost here it's also
fitting because it does look like a hollow weenie
when the green goo gets washed off.

however this pic is more appropriate for Halloween:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7092_Ghost.jpg

songbird

Steve Peek[_2_] 23-10-2012 10:54 PM

i don't think this is edible

On Oct 16, 2:38*am, songbird wrote:
* and so strange looking to find in a garden:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7115_Baby_Stinkhorn.jpg

* since the Halloween is almost here it's also
fitting because it does look like a hollow weenie
when the green goo gets washed off.

* however this pic is more appropriate for Halloween:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7092_Ghost.jpg

* songbird

The stinkhorn is Mutinus elegans. It is actually edible while in the
egg stage, but no one would even consider it at this stage. It evolved
to have its' spores spread by carrion flies, thus smells like carrion
when the spores are mature. The green goo is the spore mass.
Steve

gregz 24-10-2012 01:51 AM

i don't think this is edible

Steve Peek wrote:
On Oct 16, 2:38 am, songbird wrote:
and so strange looking to find in a garden:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7115_Baby_Stinkhorn.jpg

since the Halloween is almost here it's also
fitting because it does look like a hollow weenie
when the green goo gets washed off.

however this pic is more appropriate for Halloween:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7092_Ghost.jpg

songbird

The stinkhorn is Mutinus elegans. It is actually edible while in the
egg stage, but no one would even consider it at this stage. It evolved
to have its' spores spread by carrion flies, thus smells like carrion
when the spores are mature. The green goo is the spore mass.
Steve

I've seen an orange four legged version of a stinky gizmo. The goo is up
under the arch.

Greg

echinosum 24-10-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] (Post 971000)
and so strange looking to find in a garden:
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_7115_Baby_Stinkhorn.jpg

I expect it is because of the wood chips you have put down. I got some nice and interesting fungi when we put down bark chips once - including some tasty morels.

songbird[_2_] 24-10-2012 06:16 PM

i don't think this is edible

echinosum wrote:
I expect it is because of the wood chips you have put down. I got some
nice and interesting fungi when we put down bark chips once - including
some tasty morels.

was there a weed barrier layer under
the bark chips? we put down a weed
barrier fabric (that does let water and
air through) before putting down the
wood chips. makes it much easier to
keep weeds from getting down too deep
if they happen to sprout.

i have innoculated the wood chips with
morel juice, but it may not be the right
place for them.

songbird