Old 28-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Poorly plants... :(

I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well, until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells back with me.

I applied them to the garden thinking they would make great fertilizer, but several days later, the lower leaves started going speckly, and crispy.

I'm not 100% sure it was the seaweed tea/crushed seashells, but there's no other explanation (other than virus or disease).

Can anyone identify the issue, and please tell me if it's terminal, or can the plants recover?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Poorly plants... :(-small.gif   Poorly plants... :(-small-2.gif

Old 28-11-2012, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:10:51 PM UTC-7, solar flick wrote:
I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well,

until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells

back with me.

I applied them to the garden thinking they would make great fertilizer,

but several days later, the lower leaves started going speckly, and

crispy.

I'm not 100% sure it was the seaweed tea/crushed seashells, but there's

no other explanation (other than virus or disease).

Can anyone identify the issue, and please tell me if it's terminal, or

can the plants recover?

Many thanks.

|Filename: small.gif |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15420|

|Filename: small-2.gif |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15421|

solar flick

They MIGHT recover if you remove ALL of the crap you added. Then flush well
with clear water...allow to dry down a bit and then water with a complete
fertilizer solution. Subsequent use of a tomato fertilizer for regular
waterings would be advisable.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"solar flick" wrote in message

I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well,
until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells
back with me.

I applied them to the garden thinking they would make great fertilizer,
but several days later, the lower leaves started going speckly, and
crispy.

I'm not 100% sure it was the seaweed tea/crushed seashells, but there's
no other explanation (other than virus or disease).

Can anyone identify the issue, and please tell me if it's terminal, or
can the plants recover?

I notice you are in the UK. From the way you've worded your query it sounds
like these tomatoes are ones you are growing right now. If so, it's not
the season fro growing tomatoes so dont' even try. Dump them and stop
wondering. Try again next summer.

Old 29-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
solar flick wrote:[color=blue][i]

Salt?

Yes, now you mention it, I'm wondering if that's not it.

If you're right, and that's what it is... should I pull up all the plants and start again, do you think?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Registered User

'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;973868']solar flick wrote:

Salt?

Yes, now you mention it, I'm wondering if that's not it.

If you're right, and that's what it is... should I pull up all the
plants and start again, do you think?

Yep. Next spring

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME advice..... if we HAD a ''spring''.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

Location: plano

the gardener think that it would be very easy to maintain the tomato plant...but it would be difficult..
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Banned

Location: plano

tomato production be on large scale...if we maintain the manure and seeds..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Location: plano

it depends......by the way all poast are nice..
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Location: California

You might be able to shock them into a fruiting phase by rototilling gently around the roots, obviously not hitting any of them. Put air in the over-fertilized soil and yes, shake the plants up a little bit emotionally with the vibration. Water. You could also completely rototill the area, take up this new fertilized mulch, and create a brand new garden bed. Use organic tomato fertilizer once you cleared out everything.
Fruit Trees

Newbie: Potting Zinnias, Plants Now Poorly Mike United Kingdom 8 16-04-2005 10:14 AM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 06:56 PM
poorly Ceanothus proteus Gardening 2 31-05-2003 05:44 PM
wisteria poorly minerva nine Texas 5 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Poorly Lemon tree sparky United Kingdom 7 13-12-2002 11:32 AM