GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Starting again after THRIPS and tomato spotted wilt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/205890-starting-again-after-thrips-tomato-spotted-wilt.html)

solar flick 03-12-2012 02:57 AM

Starting again after THRIPS and tomato spotted wilt

So, I've just discovered a major infestation of THRIPS has taken over my tomatoes, chillis, and bell peppers, and I've now got 30-odd very poorly plants. Tomato spotted wilt virus has ravaged my small crop - just as they were flowering and fruiting.

Gutted. :(

I've begun the sad task of throwing out all my plants.

I basically need to know what to do now?

Do I throw away the soil and get new? (I have containers).
Will new containers in the same location get a re-infestation?
Should I take some measures to prevent a future crop from being infested too?

Any practical advice, please.

Roy[_4_] 03-12-2012 05:53 PM

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:57:00 PM UTC-7, solar flick wrote:
So, I've just discovered a major infestation of THRIPS has taken over my

tomatoes, chillis, and bell peppers, and I've now got 30-odd very poorly

plants. Tomato spotted wilt virus has ravaged my small crop - just as

they were flowering and fruiting.

Gutted. :(

I've begun the sad task of throwing out all my plants.

I basically need to know what to do now?

Do I throw away the soil and get new? (I have containers).

Will new containers in the same location get a re-infestation?

Should I take some measures to prevent a future crop from being infested

too?

Any practical advice, please.

solar flick

A fairly comprehensive fact sheet for control can be found he

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/thrips.pdf

Good luck...you're going to need it.

Frank 04-12-2012 12:54 AM

On 12/2/2012 9:57 PM, solar flick wrote:
So, I've just discovered a major infestation of THRIPS has taken over my
tomatoes, chillis, and bell peppers, and I've now got 30-odd very poorly
plants. Tomato spotted wilt virus has ravaged my small crop - just as
they were flowering and fruiting.

Gutted. :(

I've begun the sad task of throwing out all my plants.

I basically need to know what to do now?

Do I throw away the soil and get new? (I have containers).
Will new containers in the same location get a re-infestation?
Should I take some measures to prevent a future crop from being infested
too?

Any practical advice, please.

I'm in a similar virus situation with my tomatoes and fungicide will not
keep in check. Next season I'm going to empty old soil, wash pots with
bleach and try new soil.

I had discussed this problem with a guy up the road that maybe has an
acre of tomato plants and a roadside stand and he said that is the only
solution. He had gotten this advise from the agricultural extension at
our local university.

songbird[_2_] 04-12-2012 01:23 AM

solar flick wrote:

So, I've just discovered a major infestation of THRIPS has taken over my
tomatoes, chillis, and bell peppers, and I've now got 30-odd very poorly
plants. Tomato spotted wilt virus has ravaged my small crop - just as
they were flowering and fruiting.

Gutted. :(

I've begun the sad task of throwing out all my plants.

I basically need to know what to do now?

Do I throw away the soil and get new? (I have containers).
Will new containers in the same location get a re-infestation?
Should I take some measures to prevent a future crop from being infested
too?

Any practical advice, please.

where are you at?

what were the growing conditions like recently?

songbird