GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Romanesco Broccoli Update (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/206087-romanesco-broccoli-update.html)

Pavel314[_2_] 03-01-2013 02:20 AM

Romanesco Broccoli Update

Back in 2009, my wife grew some Romanesco Broccoli, as I posted on this group. It had great taste and texture in addition to a very interesting, fractal shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

We haven't been able to grow it since then. The plant grows but it doesn't head. The other varieties of broccoli put out a good crop, but these seem to be a one-hit wonder. Has anyone grown these successfully? Do you use any special techniques to get them to head?

Paul

Frank Miles 03-01-2013 09:13 PM

Romanesco Broccoli Update

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 18:20:05 -0800, Pavel314 wrote:

Back in 2009, my wife grew some Romanesco Broccoli, as I posted on this
group. It had great taste and texture in addition to a very interesting,
fractal shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

We haven't been able to grow it since then. The plant grows but it
doesn't head. The other varieties of broccoli put out a good crop, but
these seem to be a one-hit wonder. Has anyone grown these successfully?
Do you use any special techniques to get them to head?

Paul

Agreed on the beauty, taste, and texture. It's great stuff!
We've grown it a couple times, with moderate success. IIRC it
may not like transplantation and is somewhat sensitive to temperature
range.

We stopped growing it mostly because it takes a long time to form
a decent head, and didn't give us side-shoots like a regular broccoli.
If I had more space I'd grow it again.

-F

songbird[_2_] 04-01-2013 11:53 PM

Romanesco Broccoli Update

Pavel314 wrote:
Back in 2009, my wife grew some Romanesco Broccoli, as I posted on this group. It had great taste and texture in addition to a very interesting, fractal shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

We haven't been able to grow it since then. The plant grows but it doesn't head. The other varieties of broccoli put out a good crop, but these seem to be a one-hit wonder. Has anyone grown these successfully? Do you use any special techniques to get them to head?

they might be more sensitive to heat and
dry spells than other broccoli varieties.
i do know it has been hotter and dryer the
past few seasons here.

songbird