Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
James Mayer

Default Strawberry pests

Does anyone know if planting onions in with strawberries will
keep certain nocrurnal mammals from feeding on the berries?

Old 27-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Penny Morgan

Planting garlic or onions will not deter animals from feeding on your
strawberries. The Allium family (garlic/onion) usually helps somewhat in
repelling certain insects. Can you possibly fence or net the area, or is it
too big an area? You could try hot pepper spray, but I'm not sure if the
hot flavor would affect the taste of the strawberries. I also sprinkle
crushed red pepper in flower beds to repel squirrels from chewing. It has
been effective in the past. Wish I could come up with a great suggestion,
but this is all I can think of at this moment.

Penny
Zone 7b-North Carolina

Old 27-02-2003, 11:30 PM
James Mayer

I guess that the only real solution is to trap the critter and
have it relocated somewhere out in the sticks.

Old 28-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Aaron Baugher

(James Mayer) writes:

Anyone have a good receipe for 'possum or 'coon then?

I haven't tried them, so I don't know how good they are, but here are
a few:

Basic Coon

Cut up, boil in water with a little salt until tender. Place in
shallow pan, sprinkle with a little sage, add one cup broth. Pre-cook
about 5 medium size sweet potatoes, cut in half and place around
coon. Bake in hot oven for 20 minutes.

---------------------------

Old-Fashioned Coon

Put one coon in salt and soda water and let stand overnight. Take out
of water next morning and wash two times and put in kettle and boil
until tender. Put in a bread pan and put pepper and sage on it and
bake. Serve with sweet potatoes.

---------------------------

Coon and Dressing

Cut coon into small pieces and salt to taste. Cook in the inset pan
of the pressure cooker for about an hour at 15 lb. pressure. Cook
longer if it is an old and tough coon. When coon is tender, arrange
pieces in a baking dish and cover with dressing made as follows:
Moisten 8-10 slices of dry bread with the juice cooked from the coon
and add 2 eggs, 2 T. sage, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves, and 1 T. salt.
Bake in oven at 350 until the dressing is browned. This assures a
tender, tasty coon without being too fat and greasy. Also good for
possum.

[ Recipes taken from _Flat-out Dirt-cheap Cookin'_ by Bruce Carlson. ]

--
Aaron