Old 15-01-2013, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default whacky

we were walking the other day and the
weather had been warm and we'd had a decent
rain the night before to melt off all the
snow and to thaw the ice that had been in
the ditches.

frogs were out peeping. frogs. frogs in
January. i love froggies, so it was a great
treat, but it was just not right.

the past few nights have returned to more
seasonal weather (18-15F) and some snow so
the froggies are back in hiding. i hope
they'll be ok.

songbird
Old 15-01-2013, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
we were walking the other day and the
weather had been warm and we'd had a decent
rain the night before to melt off all the
snow and to thaw the ice that had been in
the ditches.

frogs were out peeping. frogs. frogs in
January. i love froggies, so it was a great
treat, but it was just not right.

the past few nights have returned to more
seasonal weather (18-15F) and some snow so
the froggies are back in hiding. i hope
they'll be ok.

songbird

We had a storm two nights ago after a dry spell. It was froggy wooing
night. They sure are noisy about it. I love it. The frogs that is.

The males that take possession of the drain pipes are in heaven, it's cool,
damp and safe and the sound amplification means they get all the girls!

Old 17-01-2013, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Rick wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:55:20 -0500, songbird
wrote:

we were walking the other day and the
weather had been warm and we'd had a decent
rain the night before to melt off all the
snow and to thaw the ice that had been in
the ditches.

frogs were out peeping. frogs. frogs in
January. i love froggies, so it was a great
treat, but it was just not right.

the past few nights have returned to more
seasonal weather (18-15F) and some snow so
the froggies are back in hiding. i hope
they'll be ok.

songbird

We have Robbins in the yard. It's two months early.

What does this say about this years weather?

Old 17-01-2013, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

we were walking the other day and the
weather had been warm and we'd had a decent
rain the night before to melt off all the
snow and to thaw the ice that had been in
the ditches.

frogs were out peeping. frogs. frogs in
January. i love froggies, so it was a great
treat, but it was just not right.

the past few nights have returned to more
seasonal weather (18-15F) and some snow so
the froggies are back in hiding. i hope
they'll be ok.

songbird

We have Robbins in the yard. It's two months early.

Prbrthbthh, glad I left all that behind. Then again say, Michigan, might
be the next Florida. Less than 2 years ago I lived in a frigid part of
the US midwest, and I heard peepers at least once during the winters.
Now, here on the east coast just 2 days ago, I suddenly had robins by
the gazillions. They're all gone, now..
I'm creeped out by all this global climate change,

Old 17-01-2013, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

You aren't alone.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 20-01-2013, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
Rick wrote:
songbird wrote:

....froggies peeping January 12th...

We have Robbins in the yard. It's two months early.

What does this say about this years weather?

i'm betting on continued whacky. which
means making some changes to the planting
plans.

i'll be growing less of the larger
beans that take most of the season to finish
and increase the planting of the smaller
types that finish sooner or those that vine
and produce when conditions are favorable.

last season the pinto, red and black
beans did well no matter where they were
planted. the edamame also did well in
most spots.

also will try some of the smaller types
of tomatoes.

oh, and get the onions planted earlier than
last year.

for landscaping projects i'll keep working on
the south side to deal with flash floods. i can
get most of it done in a week or two once the
ground thaws and it is dry enough. i'm expecting
it will be hot, dry and the once in a while
torrential rain.

songbird
Old 20-01-2013, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

....froggies...

We had a storm two nights ago after a dry spell. It was froggy wooing
night. They sure are noisy about it. I love it. The frogs that is.

they get loud enough that i keep the
doors and windows closed and i can still
hear them.

i'm glad to hear you got some rain.

Old 20-01-2013, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Rick wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Two weeks ago the record for continent-wide maximum temperature was broken
on two successive days. Last week Sydney had its all time hottest day at
46C (115F), this is a maritime climate not out in the desert.

Old 22-01-2013, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
songbird wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Rick wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

And sadly, I'll bet taht stinking ortten recent heat has had a real impact
on our frog population here :-(((

I love the sound of frogs and after the last really bad dry spell we lost
all our pobblebonk frogs. We just had the cree cree frogs left up until
recently. I haven't heard any cree crees for a while now.