GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mini watermelons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/206191-mini-watermelons.html)

Farm1[_4_] 17-01-2013 08:52 AM

Mini watermelons

I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a few tiny melons
that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should be
able to get them to harvest if I can keep up the water to them.

Does anyone know if theyd need anything at this stage of summer other than
heat and water to keep them ramping along?

songbird[_2_] 20-01-2013 05:17 PM

Mini watermelons

Farm1 wrote:

I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a few tiny melons
that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should be
able to get them to harvest if I can keep up the water to them.

Does anyone know if theyd need anything at this stage of summer other than
heat and water to keep them ramping along?

wish i were a melon expert. :)

i'd say you're doing fine if you
can keep up with them.

will you have enough time yet to set
more fruit and get it to ripen? if so i
would lightly feed at the outwards nodes
with your favorite liquid fertilizer.

songbird

Farm1[_4_] 22-01-2013 12:08 AM

Mini watermelons

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a few tiny
melons
that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should
be
able to get them to harvest if I can keep up the water to them.

Does anyone know if theyd need anything at this stage of summer other
than
heat and water to keep them ramping along?

wish i were a melon expert. :)

so do I! It's never been reliably hot aroudn here for logn enough for me to
become a melon expert and i love watermelosn and rockmelons (which you'd
call canteloups)

i'd say you're doing fine if you
can keep up with them.

will you have enough time yet to set
more fruit and get it to ripen? if so i
would lightly feed at the outwards nodes
with your favorite liquid fertilizer.

the biggest is now aobut the sice of my two cleched fists held together and
they are supposed to be 'mini' watermelons so I'm hoping htye will hav
enough time to get to harvesting. We should still get a full 2 or even 3
more months with a frost.

I've been keeping the water up and I've given some food but not a lot. I
figure little and not too often might be better than too much food.

I'll let you know how they go.

Billy[_12_] 22-01-2013 01:45 AM

Mini watermelons

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

[...]

Fran, glad to see you getting chatty again. Excitement isn't all that
it's cracked up to be.

I have about as much chance of winning the Lotto as being able to get a
watermelon to ripeness given my terroire;O) Consequently, I don't have
any firsthand information for you. However I do have the
"Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
(Available at a library near most of us.)

and he suggests moderate and even watering until the melons have reached
full size, and then little to no watering while they ripen.

I hope that helps some.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Boron Elgar[_2_] 22-01-2013 04:39 PM

Mini watermelons

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:08:29 +1100, "Farm1"
wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

[...]

1"- 2" of water a week, and a bit of a boost - compost tea or mild
fertilizer every 3 weeks or so.

These are the instructions I have used..this has encouraged melons to
the point that the critters have found them irresistible. I never get
any. I gave up a few yrs ago after many tries.

Boron

songbird[_2_] 23-01-2013 05:55 AM

Mini watermelons

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a few tiny
melons
that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should
be
able to get them to harvest if I can keep up the water to them.

Does anyone know if theyd need anything at this stage of summer other
than
heat and water to keep them ramping along?

wish i were a melon expert. :)

so do I! It's never been reliably hot aroudn here for logn enough for me to
become a melon expert and i love watermelosn and rockmelons (which you'd
call canteloups)

i'm only getting experience by accident.
i've not even read up on them.

i'd say you're doing fine if you
can keep up with them.

will you have enough time yet to set
more fruit and get it to ripen? if so i
would lightly feed at the outwards nodes
with your favorite liquid fertilizer.

the biggest is now aobut the sice of my two cleched fists held together and
they are supposed to be 'mini' watermelons so I'm hoping htye will hav
enough time to get to harvesting. We should still get a full 2 or even 3
more months with a frost.

if you have 2 to 3 more months of frost
free weather then you have a longer season
than we do (by about a month).

the limitation is leaf area to melon
size given all other things being ok.
if the plants are big and only have a
few fruits then you're good.

we have only grown rockmelons here the
past few years, but the melon size is about
the same as a mini watermelon so i think
the amount of sugars needed for ripeness is
also going to be similar enough that the
comparison isn't too bad.

we could get melons to finish if we had
them up to size before early to mid August.
we didn't let new fruits set after that as
we wanted sugars to go into the fruits
already set. a few plants that didn't have
any on to begin with we let set fruits just
to see what would happen, but they didn't
make it to full size or any edible ripeness.

are you well above sea level? what is
your late season normally like?

for us we'd be just about done with any
new fruit setting.

i think you have up to two more weeks
where you can let plants put on more fruits
if they will. after two more weeks i'd pull
most plants that don't have fruits already and
reuse the space for something else. leave
one test plant and let it fruit if it can
but only one fruit as i think the weakening
light will make it a waste anyways.

I've been keeping the water up and I've given some food but not a lot. I
figure little and not too often might be better than too much food.

sounds ok from here, except i'd make sure that
plants putting on new fruits have more water on
the nodes that have rooted closest to the new
fruits. you want those to get up to full size
as quickly as possible.

I'll let you know how they go.

:) good luck.

songbird

Farm1[_4_] 23-01-2013 07:32 AM

Mini watermelons

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

[...]

Well that sounds like good advice and even makes sense. I know that things
that couldn't be grown in this area 40 years ago, can now be grown so each
year it's a case of trying something new. This year the new, is the mini
watermelons and physalis. The physalis are looking great - now I just need
to figure ut what to do with them when they are ripe and also finding out if
they are ripe when the calyxs (sp?) go papery or is it before then?

Farm1[_4_] 23-01-2013 07:36 AM

Mini watermelons

wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

[...]

Aha! That sounds close enough to what I'm doing now.

These are the instructions I have used..this has encouraged melons to
the point that the critters have found them irresistible. I never get
any. I gave up a few yrs ago after many tries.

I might have to put a plastic milk crate over the fruits then as they fet
nearer to harvest. I've not had any strawberries for weks and weeks but I
have several very fat and huge Blue Tongued Lizards hanging round my strawbs
so I know just what you mean about critters:
http://www.outback-australia-travel-...ue-lizard.html

Farm1[_4_] 23-01-2013 07:40 AM

Mini watermelons

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

[...]

Now that is excellent thoughts! I was thinking that I might need to stop
more fruits starting or even remove some to ensure that what I do have on
the plant can get to harvest. Nice to know that I was on a similar wave
length.

I've been keeping the water up and I've given some food but not a lot. I
figure little and not too often might be better than too much food.

sounds ok from here, except i'd make sure that
plants putting on new fruits have more water on
the nodes that have rooted closest to the new
fruits. you want those to get up to full size
as quickly as possible.

I'll let you know how they go.

:) good luck.

Thanks bird. This gardneing caper is always about holding one's tongue in
the right position - either that or it's just plain dumb luck.

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 23-01-2013 11:01 AM

Mini watermelons

Farm1 said:
The physalis are looking great - now I just need
to figure ut what to do with them when they are ripe and also finding out if
they are ripe when the calyxs (sp?) go papery or is it before then?

If these are the sort that go by the common name "ground cherry" or "cape
gooseberry" then they are ripe when the husks are dry and papery. Shake
the plant and the ripest ones will fall right off.

They make a good jam and can also be dried. I was less fond of them fresh.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Billy[_12_] 23-01-2013 06:07 PM

Mini watermelons

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

[...]

So, it is a "C peruviana". Another Solanaceae, for those other
gardeners trying to figure out a crop rotation for their garden beds.
Just the term Physalis is a little vague as there are over half-a-dozen
of this genera: Tomatillo, Physalis alkekengi, Physalis minima, Physalis
heterophylla, Physalis peruviana, Physalis longifolia, Physalis
coztomatl, Physalis angulata.

Our garden is only 600 sq. ft. (57 sq. m.), and tomatoes, and peppers
(Solanaceae) are already staples there. Calculating in something like
eggplant (melanzana), or tomatillo (physalis) into a 3 year rotation is
intimidating.

I'm constantly lusting after more garden space, especially flat land (as
I get older), and with full sun.

Good luck with your experiment.

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."
-- Janet Kilburn
Phillips

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Farm1[_4_] 24-01-2013 11:37 AM

Mini watermelons

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Farm1 said:
The physalis are looking great - now I just need
to figure ut what to do with them when they are ripe and also finding out
if
they are ripe when the calyxs (sp?) go papery or is it before then?

If these are the sort that go by the common name "ground cherry" or "cape
gooseberry" then they are ripe when the husks are dry and papery. Shake
the plant and the ripest ones will fall right off.

They make a good jam and can also be dried. I was less fond of them
fresh.

Thanks for that info Pat. And yes, they are the Cape gooseberry. I've
tried them raw at a friends and he also made some into a tart. I too
preferred them cooked.

Farm1[_4_] 24-01-2013 11:45 AM

Mini watermelons

"Billy" wrote in message

So, it is a "C peruviana". Another Solanaceae, for those other
gardeners trying to figure out a crop rotation for their garden beds.
Just the term Physalis is a little vague as there are over half-a-dozen
of this genera: Tomatillo, Physalis alkekengi, Physalis minima, Physalis
heterophylla, Physalis peruviana, Physalis longifolia, Physalis
coztomatl, Physalis angulata.

Our garden is only 600 sq. ft. (57 sq. m.), and tomatoes, and peppers
(Solanaceae) are already staples there. Calculating in something like
eggplant (melanzana), or tomatillo (physalis) into a 3 year rotation is
intimidating.

I find any rotation intimidating and I'm not the least bit restricted for
space.

I'm constantly lusting after more garden space, especially flat land (as
I get older), and with full sun.

LOL. I can theoretically understand that Billy. You wouldn't want that
full sun if you'd had a summer like I have had. And it's not even February
yet when it usually gets really hot. I'm lusting for shade all the time at
the moment but even moving to follow the shade around and try to do the
gardneing that way has meant that one has to be inside by 10 am or otherwise
it's heat stroke territory.

Good luck with your experiment.

Thank Billy. I checked the watermelons this morning and they would now be
about the size of 3 clenched fists. They are cranking along now. One
physalis plants is covered with fruit and the other one has lots of flowers
and although I dind't look all that closely, it doesn't look like it has any
fruit. Must check more closely tomorrow.

Billy[_12_] 27-01-2013 02:11 AM

Mini watermelons

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

You mates look to be having an interesting time. Fires to the South, and
floods to the North.

I'll be starting some lettuce, and snow peas this week-end.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Farm1[_4_] 27-01-2013 11:38 AM

Mini watermelons

"Billy" wrote in message

You mates look to be having an interesting time. Fires to the South, and
floods to the North.

Yes, we had to leave one night because of one of the fires near us and they
have had a right rollicking up north today. Some people have now been
flooded twice in 2 years.

I'll be starting some lettuce, and snow peas this week-end.

So it must be getting slightly warmer?