Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Grape Tomatos

Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ?
I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good.
I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know
what cultivar they are.
They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to be meatier
with less seeds.

Cheers

Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Martin Riddle" wrote:

Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ?
I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good.
I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know
what cultivar they are.
They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to be meatier
with less seeds.

Cheers

Juliet. It is a red hybrid with a pear shape, and some gardeners,
including myself, report the seed can breed true out to six or more
generations. Whether the tomato seeds that you have will breed true is
open to speculation. The Juliet is a prodigious producer.

Four to five year old lettuce seeds have germinated, and I am awaiting
the peas. The garden has begun.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Martin Riddle said:

Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ?
I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good.
I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know
what cultivar they are.
They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to be meatier
with less seeds.

My long-time favorite red grape tomato was "Ruby" but it is no longer
available from my usual sources.

I've been trying various varieties ever since, and last summer's may
have been a keeper. It's called "Sweet Hearts."

Be advised that "Juliet" is much larger than a typical grape tomato,
being more of a very small pear, when I've grown it.

Last summer I also grew a large orange grape tomato called
"Gold Nugget" which was pretty good, and a nice contrast to the
red one.

(I actually dry most of my grape tomatoes and give them away to
friends and family. They easily out-produce what I need fresh.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:02:01 PM UTC-5, Martin Riddle wrote:
Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ?

I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good.

I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know

what cultivar they are.

They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to be meatier

with less seeds.

Cheers

My favorite are called Sugary. They are small and very sweet. They grow well and I have harvested seeds for about 4 years now. I have a greenhouse so I am able to grow them all year. The original seeds came from Tomato Growers.
MJ
Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Martin Riddle wrote:

Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ?
I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very
good. I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there,
But I don't know what cultivar they are.
They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to
be meatier with less seeds.

Cheers

Jelly Bean. It comes in both a red and a yellow variety.

I've grown the Red Jelly Bean with success in large containers
and out in the main garden as well. Great for snacking or
in salads.

Nyssa, who is getting tired of winter

Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Registered User

Location: California

I found Juliet to be a tasty variety well worth growing a couple of years ago. Another variety is Napa grape hybrid, these tomatoes were awesome. They have a very sweet flavor, so i planted in my garden and it kept growing and grew many little grape sized tomatoes.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 21-02-2013, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Grape Tomatoes

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ?
I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good.
I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know
what cultivar they are.
They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to be meatier
with less seeds.

Cheers

A belated thanks for all the replies.
I scavenged some seeds from some donor Grape tomatoes to see how it will
go.

Cheers