Old 18-02-2013, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Moving Asparagus

I've never grown asparagus before. Last year, I planted the seeds
(Mary Washington), and got lots of asparagus shaped toothpicks.

Sometime after the winter backs off, I need to move them to their
new home. But I don't have any details on when, or spacing. Do I
just wait until last frost is past? Or a certain height?

--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more
Old 18-02-2013, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Drew Lawson wrote:
I've never grown asparagus before. Last year, I planted the seeds
(Mary Washington), and got lots of asparagus shaped toothpicks.

Sometime after the winter backs off, I need to move them to their
new home. But I don't have any details on when, or spacing. Do I
just wait until last frost is past? Or a certain height?

You should move them during their dormant period in winter not after winter
when they are growing. You have to be able to identify the crowns while
there is no top growth, hopefully you didn't sytematically remove all the
stems when they died down. Find pictures on the web if necessary, noting
that yours will be smaller than the crowns nornally sold.

Prepare your new bed ASAP with lots of organic material, eg manure, compost
etc. Dig it fairly deep as asparagus has long roots. Lift the crowns and
plant them out about 30cm apart, the distance is not crucial as they will
spread to fill the area anyway but about one foot is a good start. When the
weather warms start to water (if it hasn't rained) and keep them damp (not
wet). You should see new shoots soon. Do not cut the vernal shoots to eat
for two years or three if they look spindly.

David

When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle Janet Galpin United Kingdom 2 12-06-2006 08:47 AM
Where are you, those who grow asparagus? Was Asparagus - a weed? Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 06-05-2004 10:13 AM
Where are you, those who grow asparagus? Was Asparagus - a gary davis United Kingdom 0 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Moving asparagus WCD Edible Gardening 2 28-07-2003 03:06 PM
moving asparagus ncstockguy North Carolina 7 12-05-2003 09:32 PM