Old 25-02-2013, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Unwanted crop ...

This afternoon I started to break ground for a garden at our Ozark
Hideaway . Much to my dismay , I didn't see a single worm - but then it's
still pretty early , and the ground is pretty cold .
What I *did* find was a bumper crop of rocks ... probably why they named
it Stone County ! I'm trying to get an early start , on my way out of town
tomorrow back to Memphis for work I plan on dropping a soil sample off at
the county extension office for analysis . Might as well start it off right
..
--
Snag

Old 25-02-2013, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

This afternoon I started to break ground for a garden at our Ozark
Hideaway . Much to my dismay , I didn't see a single worm - but then it's
still pretty early , and the ground is pretty cold .
What I *did* find was a bumper crop of rocks ... probably why they named
it Stone County ! I'm trying to get an early start , on my way out of town
tomorrow back to Memphis for work I plan on dropping a soil sample off at
the county extension office for analysis . Might as well start it off right
.

Your soil most likely can be amended, unless it has a high salt
content. If the thought of making a stone wall is too unappetizing, you
could always put in raised beds, which are also easier on the back.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 25-02-2013, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

[...]

Ever heard of Arkansas field stone ? Those rocks and some of the other 10
million or so on our 12 acres are destined to become foundation piers/walls
for our new home up here . I seriously doubt there will be a lot of salt in
the soil , this is a well drained slight slope that has been wooded until
recently heavy second-growth saplings when we bought it ~12 yrs ago, bigger
stuff not many years before . Most of the land is heavily wooded , mostly
oaks , hickory , etc with patches of cedars . The clearing is well covered
with grasses and a few wild flowers . I suspect if anything the soil will be
acidic from many years of oak leaf mulch . Blackberry patches in every
cleared area , along the roads and power line easements thru the woods ...
and blueberries and muscadines in the woods. I call it Hillbilly Heaven .
--
Snag
and plenty

Old 26-02-2013, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

[...]

Enjoy your rocks ;O))

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Unwanted Vines Gwen Morse Gardening 11 04-05-2004 07:02 AM
Questions about weed/unwanted growth Gwen Morse Gardening 3 22-04-2004 12:02 PM
Unwanted bamboo Jon Bamboo 9 09-03-2004 01:25 AM
unwanted lime trees Gary Eckersall United Kingdom 9 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
How to get rid of unwanted fescues Kudzu Gardening 2 14-04-2003 05:44 AM