Old 26-02-2013, 09:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Scale on lemon tree

OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small lemon tree
please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd like to get rid of
this infestation before winter arrives if that's at all possible.

Old 26-02-2013, 09:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small
lemon tree please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd
like to get rid of this infestation before winter arrives if that's
at all possible.

Pest oil, if you want to nuke em add maldison.

Old 26-02-2013, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:12:19 +1100, "Farm1"
wrote:

OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small lemon tree
please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd like to get rid of
this infestation before winter arrives if that's at all possible.

Neem oil works. IS that something you can get there?

Boron

Old 27-02-2013, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small lemon
tree
please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd like to get rid of
this infestation before winter arrives if that's at all possible.

Neem oil works. IS that something you can get there?

Yep. Not that I've ever used it. it seemed to enjoy a lot of popularity a
few years ago but I've not heard it mentioned a lot in more recent years.
IIRC, it was more popular with those who gardened in the sub-tropical and
tropical areas of Oz.

Old 27-02-2013, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small
lemon tree please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd
like to get rid of this infestation before winter arrives if that's
at all possible.

Pest oil, if you want to nuke em add maldison.

Thanks David. I'll try the pest oil on it's own first before I consider
moving onto the bigger guns.

Old 27-02-2013, 07:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Elsewhere in this thread, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

...if you want to nuke em add maldison.

Apropos of nothing: "Maldison" goes by "Malathion" (C10H19O6PS2) in
the USofA. Frequently used to kill head lice, although, in the 'States,
pyrethrin or permethrin are more commonly used for that purpose.
As to the question: Personally-and depending on the season-I'd go
for biological control (wasps), the oil or maybe even a high-fat
"insecticidal" soap before resorting to chemistry but, then, I tend to
treat chemicals as, er, "recreational" items.... (HEY, Prudies, that's a
JOKE, goddammit!). Some, but not much, information he
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/citrus/controlling-citrus-scale.htm.
I've always been happy with biological controls (nematodes)
purchased from these folks:
http://gardeningzone.com/pages/scale-control. Of course, shipment to
Oz is not practical, even if legal, but at the least this site might
help you determine what to shop for.

Thanks Derald. You're right of course about importing biological controls -
it's not something I'd even consider doing even if I could given that I live
on a farm. There are too many things that could come in with them that
aren't here now and which I'd never like to see arrive on our shores.

I see that Madison is said to be a 'broad spectrum organophosphus
insecticide'.

I try to avoid anything of that sort of decription, but won't say that I
have never used such things. As far as I'm concerned such things are last
resorts but if they work when all else fails, I'll consider their use.

Old 27-02-2013, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:41:06 -0500, Rick wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small
lemon tree please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd
like to get rid of this infestation before winter arrives if that's
at all possible.

Pest oil, if you want to nuke em add maldison.

Thanks David. I'll try the pest oil on it's own first before I consider
moving onto the bigger guns.

Pest oil may be very different, but it was my understanding that such
controls were used in the winter. Do they work on things like lemon
trees that don't frop their leaves?

Good write-up he

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05569.html
Old 27-02-2013, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small
lemon tree please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd
like to get rid of this infestation before winter arrives if that's
at all possible.

Pest oil, if you want to nuke em add maldison.

Thanks David. I'll try the pest oil on it's own first before I
consider moving onto the bigger guns.

Pest oil may be very different, but it was my understanding that such
controls were used in the winter. Do they work on things like lemon
trees that don't frop their leaves?

They are used whenever the pest is vulnerable and are recommended for
citrus.

Old 28-02-2013, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small lemon
tree
please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd like to get rid of
this infestation before winter arrives if that's at all possible.

Neem oil works. IS that something you can get there?

Yep. Not that I've ever used it. it seemed to enjoy a lot of popularity
a few years ago but I've not heard it mentioned a lot in more recent
years. IIRC, it was more popular with those who gardened in the
sub-tropical and tropical areas of Oz.

For scale I have used "white oil" and it appears to work. Manufacture your
own, details here : http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2281115.htm

Mike

Old 28-02-2013, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message
. au...

wrote:

OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small lemon
tree
please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd like to get rid
of
this infestation before winter arrives if that's at all possible.

Neem oil works. IS that something you can get there?

Yep. Not that I've ever used it. it seemed to enjoy a lot of popularity
a few years ago but I've not heard it mentioned a lot in more recent
years. IIRC, it was more popular with those who gardened in the
sub-tropical and tropical areas of Oz.

For scale I have used "white oil" and it appears to work. Manufacture
your own, details here :
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2281115.htm

Too late Mike, I made it this morning to Jerry's recipe. Ya just gotta love
a man who isn't afraid to appear on TV looking as much of a fashion dag as
he does :-))

Old 28-02-2013, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

I see that Madison is said to be a 'broad spectrum organophosphus
insecticide'.

Yes it is. I read "broad spectrum" and "non-discriminating" and
"organophosphus" as "here forever" ;-)

the other method that involves some patience
is the direct scrubbing application with a
cotton swab. i used to have cacti/succulents
that would need spot checking to keep the
buggers from setting up shop. patience is
always a good feature when working with
cacti as they don't reward awkward sudden
moves very often with anything other than
a sharp spine in the ...

I try to avoid anything of that sort of decription, but won't say that I
have never used such things. As far as I'm concerned such things are last
resorts but if they work when all else fails, I'll consider their use.

Same here. Nowadays, in my tiny garden, I tend to accept some level
of damage from "pests" as a tax for intruding into their space in the
first place; except, of course, for fire ants and those damnable
grasshoppers.
I wish you success!

does the borax and corn meal trick work for
baiting fireants?

songbird
Old 28-02-2013, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

the other method that involves some patience
is the direct scrubbing application with a
cotton swab.

However, doing that would require more dedication than I possess,
particularly for a non-food plant, a category in which I, personally,
place lemons. I think I've mentioned before that I don't grow what I
can't/don't eat. At present, a "staghorn fern", inherited seven years
ago, is the only non-food plant I feed and water. The only reason that
it hasn't been sold is a reluctance to deal with someone who finds the
butt-ugly thing desirable, LOL.

does the borax and corn meal trick work for
baiting fireants?

Do you mean boric acid? Borax and boric acid are not the same
things.

Borax (sodium tetraborate) and sugar is a very old ant poison. Any kind of
somewhat soluble borax compound will do as it is the boron that is the
poison, borax is a form that is cheap and readily available. Mix it to a
paste with sugar and a little water and spread a little where the ants go,
renew as required.

David