Old 28-02-2013, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default interesting nibble

a friend of the family knows someone who
is starting/running an organic eatery.

featuring seasonal veggies and using
open air grilling and such.

there's a good chance i'll get involved
with them in some manner if the people
seem like they want to have help for
dealing with the veggie scraps, perhaps
an on-site garden, maybe even supplying
some of the produce.

i won't know for a while yet if anything
will come of it, but it's a nice thing to
daydream about in the late weeks of winter.

things to think about:

- charcoal scraps from grilling and making
charcoal roasters out of paint cans and
small holes in the sides near the top.
load with wood pieces, put on lid, upend
in grill, gases from wood inside come out
the holes and helps feed the rest of the
wood fire, but leaves some char inside
that can be used in the gardens. empty
and refill each morning before firing the
grill. not sure how well this would work
but i think the idea is potentially a good
way to moderate the heat from the wood
bits and charcoal as often it seems grills
get too hot...

- using two layers of steel along the sides
of the grill, packing the side with wood
chips to roast. holes at the bottom again
to put the wood gas into the fire. perhaps
needing some steel tubes and holes to
distribute the gas. a much neater method
of doing the above as it doesn't involve
messing with paint cans. just flip open
the side and remove the char and then
replace the chips...

- bone grinding, scraps, to keep the wormies
and garden plants super happy. one problem
with recent bone crumbs is that they are
basically devoid of all useful nutrients
so they don't stink when packaged and sold
at the stores. in old days bones were
ground up and used in the gardens or fed to
the critters/pigs getting all those nutrients
back into the gardens via direct application
or the muck from the piggies.

- veggie scrap processing... obvious, but i
can vastly speed up decomposition/breakdown
via worms by chopping and drying root crop
scraps.

- cardboard shredding... so much stuff is packed
in cardboard. let's use that free worm food for
good nummies.

if anything the conversations should be interesting...

songbird
Old 28-02-2013, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

- charcoal scraps from grilling and making
charcoal roasters out of paint cans and
small holes in the sides near the top.
load with wood pieces, put on lid, upend
in grill, gases from wood inside come out
the holes and helps feed the rest of the
wood fire, but leaves some char inside
that can be used in the gardens. songbird

That charcoal would be much more useful if mixed with KNO3 and sulphur in
the proper proportions ...
Just sayin' .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 28-02-2013, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

songbird wrote:

- charcoal scraps from grilling and making
charcoal roasters out of paint cans and
small holes in the sides near the top.
load with wood pieces, put on lid, upend
in grill, gases from wood inside come out
the holes and helps feed the rest of the
wood fire, but leaves some char inside
that can be used in the gardens. songbird

That charcoal would be much more useful if mixed with KNO3 and sulphur in
the proper proportions ...
Just sayin' .

A.K.A. black powder. The militia must be in town. Check for people
missing fingers.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

songbird wrote:

- charcoal scraps from grilling and making
charcoal roasters out of paint cans and
small holes in the sides near the top.
load with wood pieces, put on lid, upend
in grill, gases from wood inside come out
the holes and helps feed the rest of the
wood fire, but leaves some char inside
that can be used in the gardens. songbird

That charcoal would be much more useful if mixed with KNO3 and
sulphur in the proper proportions ...
Just sayin' .

A.K.A. black powder. The militia must be in town. Check for people
missing fingers.

Hmmm , I see I'm not the only one here who has reservations about the
direction our government is heading ... are you by any chance a 3%er ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

songbird wrote:

- charcoal scraps from grilling and making
charcoal roasters out of paint cans and
small holes in the sides near the top.
load with wood pieces, put on lid, upend
in grill, gases from wood inside come out
the holes and helps feed the rest of the
wood fire, but leaves some char inside
that can be used in the gardens. songbird

That charcoal would be much more useful if mixed with KNO3 and
sulphur in the proper proportions ...
Just sayin' .

A.K.A. black powder. The militia must be in town. Check for people
missing fingers.

Hmmm , I see I'm not the only one here who has reservations about the
direction our government is heading ... are you by any chance a 3%er ?

I'm not a member of any organized group. I'm a Green.

Jacksonian scholar, Robert Remini (The Age of Jackson), says,
after studying electoral figures for 1828 and 1832:

Jackson himself enjoyed widespread support that ranged across all classes
and sections of the country. He attracted farmers, mechanics, laborers,
professionals and even businessmen. And all this without Jackson being
clearly pro- or antilabor, pro- or antibusiness, pro- or antilower,
middle or upper class.

It was the new politics of ambiguity‹speaking for the lower and
middle classes to get their support in times of rapid growth and
potential turmoil. The two-party system came into its own in this time.
To give people a choice between two different parties and allow them, in
a period of rebellion, to choose the slightly more democratic one was an
ingenious mode of control.

Remini compares the Jacksonian Democrat Martin Van Buren, who succeeded
Jackson as President, with the Austrian conservative statesman
Metternich: "Like Metternich, who was seeking to thwart revolutionary
discontent in Europe. Van Buren and similar politicians were attempting
to banish political disorder from the United States by a balance of
power achieved through two *well-organized* and active parties."

The Jacksonian idea was to achieve stability and control by winning to
the Democratic party "the middling interest, and especially . .. the
substantial yeomanry of the country" by "prudent, judicious,
well-considered reform." . . . That is, reform that would not yield too
much. These were the words of Robert Rantoul, a reformer, corporation
lawyer, and Jacksonian Democrat.
-----

Let's pull weeds!

Back to digging up that orange tree, anyway. Ye hear that there is a
bacteria that's killing off oranges? Hot breakin' news from about 20
years ago. Apparently, it has laid low half of the oranges in Florida,
and now is attacking fresh oranges in California.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/sl...can-scientists
-wasps-save-orange-juice

--
Welcome to the New America.