Old 19-03-2013, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Need help in choosing a Juicer

On Sunday, March 19, 2000 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, wildgorilla wrote:
Hello, I ready to buy a juicer but can't figure which one
will do the best job. Some manufacturers say a juicer
needs a 1/2 hp motor, some say pressing is best. I'm
confused. Anyone who can give me some real life experience.
Thanks, Wildgorilla

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

There are several excellent juice extractors on the market, but there are a few things to take into consideration before your purchase.

1. Price, the obvious one. Consider your price range before your search. 2. Do you want an auger or centrifugal juicer? They both have different functions. The centrifugal machine shreds the produce into tiny pieces and spins the juice free. The auger type crushes then squeezes the juice. The centrifugal type is highly inefficient at juicing leafy green vegetables including wheatgrass, but tend to be cheaper. Auger-type machines are good at juicing just about everything (from asparagus to kittens) but tend to be more expensive. 3. Miscellaneous things like aesthetic value, noise, and size of the machine are relevant to your search as well.

These are the main three points when selecting your new juicer. Know that, generally, the higher the price, the more efficiency and more years of use you can expect. There's an ebook that can help you with your search and it's free. You can download The Juicable! ebook he www.thejuicablebook.com Good luck!
Old 19-03-2013, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:09:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2000 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, wildgorilla wrote:

Hello, I ready to buy a juicer but can't figure which one

will do the best job. Some manufacturers say a juicer

needs a 1/2 hp motor, some say pressing is best. I'm

confused. Anyone who can give me some real life experience.

Thanks, Wildgorilla

You do realize this post is 13 YEARS OLD?

Old 19-03-2013, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
You do realize this post is 13 YEARS OLD?

*chuckles*

besides, while juicing might be ok for some
reasons it also does not give enough of the
right fiber in the juice even from things
like apples. yes, you get fiber, but it is
all ground up and the structure that is
important for aiding the bowel functions is
destroyed by juicing.

whole foods, real foods, still the best things
to eat.

songbird
Old 22-03-2013, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/19/2013 11:30 AM, songbird wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
You do realize this post is 13 YEARS OLD?

*chuckles*

besides, while juicing might be ok for some
reasons it also does not give enough of the
right fiber in the juice even from things
like apples. yes, you get fiber, but it is
all ground up and the structure that is
important for aiding the bowel functions is
destroyed by juicing.

whole foods, real foods, still the best things
to eat.

songbird

Oh well, I've seen worst posts to resurrect. I kinda felt like saying
that at the time this was posted I had bought a $30 juicer that I still
have today. The "micro-shredder" part in particular requires some
tedious & meticulous cleaning so I don't use it much anymore except when
I *must* have a screaming-fresh glass of carrot juice. (Most of the
bottled stuff I've bought in stores is at least slightly gross, except
where processed on-site; but then is still several times the cost of the
actual ingreds. Plus at home I can still use the fibrous pulp in some
other tasty dish.)
We can't ask the OP what-all they wanted to extract juice from, but when
it comes to grasses, only a wringing extractor will really work AFAIK
(but then I don't know much). The meat grinder attachment on my HD
Kitchenaid mixer works well for the purpose. I had to laugh to myself
seeing what some people charge for some medium-quality, dedicated "grass
juice extractor" which works basically (if not exactly) the same as my
mixer's grinder attachment. And for about the same $ (if not less) they
could've bought themselves a superior-quality appliance serving many
purposes and, IMOE, for pretty much a lifetime. And buying grass juice,
even in a health food store? Just absolutely forget it -- unless they
wring it up to order, right smack in front of you.

Thanks for reading.
Old 22-03-2013, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Oh well, I've seen worst posts to resurrect.

"worse"

Old 23-03-2013, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nelly W wrote:
Oh well, I've seen worst posts to resurrect. I kinda felt like saying
that at the time this was posted I had bought a $30 juicer that I still
have today. The "micro-shredder" part in particular requires some
tedious & meticulous cleaning so I don't use it much anymore except when
I *must* have a screaming-fresh glass of carrot juice. (Most of the
bottled stuff I've bought in stores is at least slightly gross, except
where processed on-site; but then is still several times the cost of the
actual ingreds. Plus at home I can still use the fibrous pulp in some
other tasty dish.)

compared to an "energy drink" or many of the
other beverages something juiced at least had
a connection to a plant.

but yeah, i agree with you that the cleaning
is often more tedious.

have you ever frozen carrot juice right after
it was made?

We can't ask the OP what-all they wanted to extract juice from, but when
it comes to grasses, only a wringing extractor will really work AFAIK
(but then I don't know much). The meat grinder attachment on my HD
Kitchenaid mixer works well for the purpose. I had to laugh to myself
seeing what some people charge for some medium-quality, dedicated "grass
juice extractor" which works basically (if not exactly) the same as my
mixer's grinder attachment. And for about the same $ (if not less) they
could've bought themselves a superior-quality appliance serving many
purposes and, IMOE, for pretty much a lifetime. And buying grass juice,
even in a health food store? Just absolutely forget it -- unless they
wring it up to order, right smack in front of you.

Thanks for reading.

a hand-cranked meat grinder works well for many
tasks if you aren't doing a lot of it every day.
nearly indestructable, easy to maintain and not
too bad to clean up. the one we've been using was
my great-grandma's.

songbird
Old 23-03-2013, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Nelly W wrote:
[...]

Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro 67650

Price range: $59.00 - $79.99

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 23-03-2013, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , says...

Oh well, I've seen worst posts to resurrect.

"worse"

Sometimes a USENET server with a huge archive will burp and you'll see
hundreds of old posts.