Old 21-04-2013, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pea crop failure?

I planted peas 5 weeks ago. They're just now starting to come up. So
far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds.
I just noticed the third seedling today. What are the chances of the
rest of them coming up?
Old 21-04-2013, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

wrote:

I planted peas 5 weeks ago. They're just now starting to come up. So
far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds.
I just noticed the third seedling today. What are the chances of the
rest of them coming up?

about where are you located?

That, indeed.

around here it's been too cold, frosts last
night and tonight. i won't be putting any peas
out for a while yet. they're one of my favorite
crops.

I tend to go with "as early as the ground can be worked and I can find
the time" for planting peas. Mine have been out there through a few
sleet storms now, and are not up yet - might be a couple of weeks now.
I'm not worried.

Peas are a cool-weather crop, and they don't mind a bit of frost. If the
seed is current, or no more than ~2 years past date, and nothing has
eaten it, they will come up when ready. If you have had birds drop by
and pull them up as soon as they sprouted, that's a different matter. If
moles or something have polished it off from below, likewise. If it's
been dry, not much will happen (you could water them...).

My final attempt at growing Eliot Coleman's favorite cold-weather salad
plant (Mache or cornsalad) has also been out there, and I think the
sleet may have done the trick. Not really sure, as I've never had any
luck growing the stuff, which is why it's my final attempt - unless of
course it actually grows this time and I actually like it. Something is
coming up where I planted it, though I think the first something was, in
fact, weeds - I'm not sure what the stuff looks like when small, since
it has never worked for me before. Last year it probably had an excuse,
as it was 90F and dry in March. Perhaps it should go in with the garlic
in the fall. The garlic is pretty happy this year. Sorrel and hops are
also good.

Old 22-04-2013, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The problem with sowing in cold ground is that provides more opportunity for
the seeds to be taken or destroyed while waiting for the temperature to
rise. In the worst case fungus can get those the rodents etc leave and you
have few or none.

Old 22-04-2013, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 21, 3:36*am, songbird wrote:
wrote:
I planted peas 5 weeks ago. *They're just now starting to come up. *So
far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds.
I just noticed the third seedling today. *What are the chances of the
rest of them coming up?

* about where are you located?

* hard to say, but three plants (if they survive)
can provide enough seeds for a second crop later
in the season. *so perhaps all will be fine.

* i'd give the weather more time to warm up and
then try another packet of seeds to fill in the
empty spaces. *make sure the forecast is for
warm enough weather with some sunshine.

* around here it's been too cold, frosts last
night and tonight. *i won't be putting any peas
out for a while yet. *they're one of my favorite
crops.

* good luck,

* songbird

I'm in north central Kentucky. I've always planted peas around the
middle of March but this year it's been exceptionally cool this spring.
Old 22-04-2013, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
Mice and birds also love sprouting peas.

hey, there you are! welcome back.

songbird
Old 26-04-2013, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 20, 9:40*pm, " wrote:
I planted peas 5 weeks ago. *They're just now starting to come up. *So
far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds.
I just noticed the third seedling today. *What are the chances of the
rest of them coming up?

Two more plants are up today. That brings the total to five. At this
rate they should all be up by August.
Old 26-04-2013, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:40?pm, " wrote:
I planted peas 5 weeks ago. ?They're just now starting to come up. ?So
far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds.
I just noticed the third seedling today. ?What are the chances of the
rest of them coming up?

Two more plants are up today. That brings the total to five. At this
rate they should all be up by August.

I sure hope not.

Peas grow rather fast, I'm in Chicago and we have sort of a crappy growing
season, technically like May 15th to Oct 15th, but if you have any luck, you
can get things in the ground around Apr 1.

This is my 4th year for peas, in the past, for reference, using the plain
old Burpee seeds/pods from Home Depot, the average plant-to-seed ratio is
around 35%, meaning with 200 seeds planted, I only get like 60-70 plants
that actually spring up.

I don't know where you are at but you got them in the ground early enough.
Peas just don't like heat. From what I understand, they'll start dying off
and stop producing when the soil temp averages 75F. So they are like cool
weather plants.

Again here in Chicago, if I can get them in early april, by mid-june they
are going whole hog, but start dying out by the 4th of July. Anything that
is still there afterwards is hard and fiberous.

Once they sprout, they will grow rapidly and start showing pods early in the
growth cycle. Because I have to use cages to protect everything from
squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, possums and birds (yes we have all of those
here), they get up to about 4 feet, but will show pods around 18 inches.

Also keep in mind they need some help, there will be small tentacles that
come out, looking for something to grab on to, hopefully verticle. Without
that, they'll start to grab each other and eventually end up as a big
knotted mess.

There probably is 101 things you can use but what I ran across which comes
in handy for other things besides stablizing peas is a bundle of ceiling
hangers (for suspended ceilings) that Home Depot sells. There are something
like 50-60 "rods", 4 feet long, are fairly stiff but can be bent or cut as
needed. The bundle is something like $15 or less and like I said, just comes
in handy for numerous things.

They are easy to push into the ground around the plants and are stiff enough
to stay upright.

The bad news, if you do end up with just 5 or 6 plants, there isn't going to
be much eating there. At best each plant only seems to produce 10-12 pods,
but on average it's half that. Some book I read recommended something like
40-45 plants per person, to harvest enough. It's probably right, for all the
ones we grow, maybe 2 decent sized servings and enough left for being tossed
into salads.

Honestly though, even though they are a low-production plant, the damn
things are so tasty, it's worth it.

-bruce

Old 26-04-2013, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bruce Esquibel wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:40?pm, " wrote:
[...]

I grew some peas last year for the first time and had just enough to have
snacks right off the plants. They were so tastey I thought I'd try to grow
some more this year. First, I started about a dozen plants in peat pots and
then planted those and they are tall enough now to grab the fencing with
their little tentacles, but it seemed like I had room between those plants,
so I poked holes in the ground between each one and planted more seed. I
was wondering just how close you can plant peas and not be too close?

--
Natural Girl

Old 26-04-2013, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:
their little tentacles, but it seemed like I had room between those plants,
so I poked holes in the ground between each one and planted more seed. I
was wondering just how close you can plant peas and not be too close?

The current seed packet says 2 inches apart. I suspect that may be
favorable more to the seed seller (use more seed) and perhaps yield per
foot of row without being as favorable to yield per plant or total yield
per number of plants (if you have more room.) My current patch is
something approximating 6 inches apart. more than 8 or 9 inches is
probably too sparse. If you are space-limited, the tighter spacing is
probably better.

I wonder if there are trials data available on different spacings
(though of course that would depend on what type they were using, at
least until enough trials with enough different types were run to get
any general results....

Old 29-04-2013, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:
[...]

I think I will try the 2 inches apart planting and see just how well that
works out.

I've noticed little pin holes in some of my peas foilage. Are those from
flea beetles? I sprinkled some diatomaceous Earth on and around the plants
to see if I can nip that problem in the bud!

--
Natural Girl