Old 31-05-2013, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Unapproved genetically modified wheat from Monsanto found in Oregon field

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...genetically-mo
dified-wheat-from-monsanto-found-in-oregon-field/2013/05/30/93fe7abe-c95e
-11e2-8da7-d274bc611a47_story.html

Japan, the largest market for U.S. wheat exports, suspended imports from
the United States and canceled a major purchase of white wheat on
Thursday after the recent discovery of unapproved genetically modified
wheat in an 80-acre field in Oregon.

How the altered crop made its way to the Oregon field remains a mystery.
The strain was developed by Monsanto to make wheat resistant to the
companyıs own industry-leading weed killer. Monsanto tested the type of
altered seed in more than a dozen states, including Oregon, between 1994
and 2005, but it was never approved for commercial use.

Many food safety advocates and environmental groups say that more
testing needs to be done to ensure that genetically modified seeds donıt
harm human health. In addition, they say, the genetic engineering of
crops has encouraged the more widespread use of herbicides and led to
the development of weeds more resistant to those herbicides.

The United States already relies heavily on genetically modified crops.
Genetically engineered corn, cotton and soybeans have gone from 5 to 17
percent of the U.S. market in 1997 to between two-thirds and more than
90 percent in 2012. By some estimates, more than 70 percent of processed
foods sold in the United States contain ingredients and oils from
genetically engineered crops.

But Americans remain skeptical about some genetically modified foods,
including current proposals to cultivate altered salmon. And big
agriculture companies have avoided commercial development of genetically
engineered wheat because about half of the U.S. wheat crop is exported,
and governments in major markets such as the European Union, Japan and
China are opposed to genetically modified wheat seed.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 31 May 2013 10:09:03 -0700, Billy wrote:

The United States already relies heavily on genetically modified crops.
Genetically engineered corn, cotton and soybeans have gone from 5 to 17
percent of the U.S. market in 1997 to between two-thirds and more than
90 percent in 2012. By some estimates, more than 70 percent of processed
foods sold in the United States contain ingredients and oils from
genetically engineered crops.

But Americans remain skeptical about some genetically modified foods,
including current proposals to cultivate altered salmon. And big
agriculture companies have avoided commercial development of genetically
engineered wheat because about half of the U.S. wheat crop is exported,
and governments in major markets such as the European Union, Japan and
China are opposed to genetically modified wheat seed.

I am extremely skeptical of any genetically modified crops. ESPECIALLY
those into which Round-up mitochondria have been introduced. Round-up in
my food is NOT my idea of a good time.

My own personal observations on oatmeal has been that I believe these
genetically altered grains cause digestive problems including diarrhea
and other digestive disturbances. While I can't PROVE that it's GA oats
that is doing it, I strongly suspect that this is so given the degree to
which GA grains have contaminated American Farms. (Which is especially
interesting given that once Monsanto contaminates your farm, they sue you
for millions for "patent infringement" for having their contamination)

Anyway, I used to ALWAYS eat oatmeal for breakfast. No problem. Then
suddenly I noticed that cheaper "store brand" oatmeal was starting to
cause some kind of problems, but higher priced brands were OK. Then after
a time I noticed that the "better" brands had the problem but "name"
brands like Quaker did not. Now finally I notice that ALL oatmeal has the
problem and I've had to give it up all together. And that is made even
more interesting by government insistence that non-genetically altered
food may NOT be so marked when sold. Obviously they are looking out for
all of us.

Seems to me what is needed is some kind of quick and dirty chemical test
for Round-up in our food. I'm guessing we will really be appalled at how
bad it is at present.