GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cherries wasp damage ,can i eat (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/207933-cherries-wasp-damage-can-i-eat.html)

snowfurs 30-07-2013 09:53 PM

cherries wasp damage ,can i eat

hello, my cherries have bites taken out of them from wasps.
are they ok to still eat. maybe make jam etc. thank you

songbird[_2_] 31-07-2013 02:19 PM

snowfurs wrote:

hello, my cherries have bites taken out of them from wasps.
are they ok to still eat. maybe make jam etc. thank you

i've never heard of wasps carrying viral or
other diseases, but they might. if you are in
the minority and have a weakened immune system
for some reason then i'd avoid eating damaged
fruits.

otherwise, if the fruit is sound (not rotting) i
trim off damaged areas and don't worry too much
about it.

also, if you are making jam on the stove that
raises the temperature long enough to kill off
most of what i would worry about (and the fruit
is acid enough and sugar does the rest).

songbird

passerby 04-08-2013 04:44 PM

replying to snowfurs , passerby wrote:
snowfurs.c6e2068 wrote:

hello, my cherries have bites taken out of them from wasps.
are they ok to still eat. maybe make jam etc. thank you

I just wash them and eat them. Same with ants or bird damage if it's small
(birds do carry nasty diseases but perhaps not those birds that eat
cherries). Have been doing it for 35+ years and I'm still here...

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/edible/...eat-40460-.htm