Old 28-09-2013, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Squirrel meets tragic end

Found a gray squirrel next to my garden this morning. I have an ordinary electric fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Apparently a deer broke the wire sometime last night and this morning a poor squirrel got into the tangle of wire and met a sorry end. This is the first time I have found anything dead near the fence since I began using it five years ago when the local deer population began to explode. The electric wire is normally suspended as two strands four and five feet off the ground.
Old 28-09-2013, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/28/2013 12:19 PM, Davej wrote:
Found a gray squirrel next to my garden this morning. I have an ordinary electric fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Apparently a deer broke the wire sometime last night and this morning a poor squirrel got into the tangle of wire and met a sorry end. This is the first time I have found anything dead near the fence since I began using it five years ago when the local deer population began to explode. The electric wire is normally suspended as two strands four and five feet off the ground.

Hard to feel sorry for the tree rats as well as the rats with hooves

I've had snakes get tangled in deer netting around plants.
Fortunately have been able to free them.
Old 29-09-2013, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:
Found a gray squirrel next to my garden this morning. I have an
ordinary electric fence around my garden to keep the deer out.
Apparently a deer broke the wire sometime last night and this morning
a poor squirrel got into the tangle of wire and met a sorry end. This
is the first time I have found anything dead near the fence since I
began using it five years ago when the local deer population began to
explode. The electric wire is normally suspended as two strands four
and five feet off the ground.

Nah it was the squirrels bungee jumping, that one didn't adjust the tension
right and touched the ground.

zaaaaap

Old 29-09-2013, 10:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:19:25 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
Found a gray squirrel next to my garden this morning. I have an ordinary electric fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Apparently a deer broke the wire sometime last night and this morning a poor squirrel got into the tangle of wire and met a sorry end. This is the first time I have found anything dead near the fence since I began using it five years ago when the local deer population began to explode. The electric wire is normally suspended as two strands four and five feet off the ground.

I had the same thing happen to a rabbit last year but the fence hadn't broken. Guess he just jumped where he shouldn't have. My wires started at 2 feet. Changed that this year. There is just one wire at 4 feet or so and that not only has worked for the deer it is a hell of a lot easier to get in to weed.
MJ
Old 30-09-2013, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:35:11 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 9/28/2013 12:19 PM, Davej wrote:
[...]

Hard to feel sorry for the tree rats as well as the rats with hooves

I've had snakes get tangled in deer netting around plants.

Fortunately have been able to free them.

Oh yeah, I had a snake die in my bundle of bird netting last year. I guess they can't crawl through that stuff.

Old 30-09-2013, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/29/2013 7:46 PM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:35:11 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 9/28/2013 12:19 PM, Davej wrote:
[...]

Hard to feel sorry for the tree rats as well as the rats with hooves

I've had snakes get tangled in deer netting around plants.

Fortunately have been able to free them.

Oh yeah, I had a snake die in my bundle of bird netting last year. I guess they can't crawl through that stuff.

They got tangled so badly, I had to cut them out. Had caught three of
them - all black snakes. Fortunately no poison ones around here.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, September 28, 2013, Davej wrote:
[...]

I've got an idea. I will connect the fence charger to a photocell so that it is only turned on when it is dark.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/1/2013 3:38 PM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2013, Davej wrote:
[...]

I've got an idea. I will connect the fence charger to a photocell so that it is only turned on when it is dark.

Deer are generally nocturnal but not always, particularly when they have
no enemies and there is a food that they like. I've been chasing them
away at all hours since chestnuts are falling from my trees.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Frank" wrote in message
On 10/1/2013 3:38 PM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2013, Davej wrote:
[...]

I've got an idea. I will connect the fence charger to a photocell so that
it is only turned on when it is dark.

Deer are generally nocturnal but not always, particularly when they have
no enemies and there is a food that they like. I've been chasing them
away at all hours since chestnuts are falling from my trees.

If there's free corn , they'll stop by in full daylight ... as evidenced
by my game cam today . Oh I didn't grow the corn , I put it out to attract
deer legal in Arkansas. Bow season is open , muzzleloader and rifle
seasons soon . We'll be eating some Bambi this year .
--
Snag
Mighty Hunter

Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/1/2013 10:37 PM, Snag wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On 10/1/2013 3:38 PM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2013, Davej wrote:
[...]

I've got an idea. I will connect the fence charger to a photocell so that
it is only turned on when it is dark.

Deer are generally nocturnal but not always, particularly when they have
no enemies and there is a food that they like. I've been chasing them
away at all hours since chestnuts are falling from my trees.

If there's free corn , they'll stop by in full daylight ... as evidenced
by my game cam today . Oh I didn't grow the corn , I put it out to attract
deer legal in Arkansas. Bow season is open , muzzleloader and rifle
seasons soon . We'll be eating some Bambi this year .
--
Snag
Mighty Hunter

I hope to be adding some Bambi to the freezer too. Been bow hunting to
no avail so far.

As for deer in my back yard, which wife does not want me to shoot, after
yesterdays posting I've been tossing firecrackers off the deck to chase
them. If I walk out and yell they just move off a bit and look at me.
Enough to drive a hunter crazy.