GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a few recent pics (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/208596-few-recent-pics.html)

songbird[_2_] 25-10-2013 03:31 AM

a few recent pics

a few of these you might have seen befo

from a berry bush the bluebirds love in the late
summer/early fall:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8326_Red_Stems.jpg

our visiting juvenile hawk that wandered around the
yard for a few days:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8284_Red_Tail.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8...il_Hunting.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8248_Red_Tail_BB.jpg

one of the many blue birds around:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8237_Blue_Bird.jpg

and some sunflower pictures:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8..._Sunflower.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8203_Red_Sun1.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8203_Red_Sun2.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8133_Sun_Start.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8128_Bright_Sun.jpg

peace,

songbird

Farm1[_4_] 26-10-2013 07:54 AM

a few recent pics

"songbird" wrote in message
one of the many blue birds around:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8237_Blue_Bird.jpg

I want some of them! What gorgeous birds.

Have you ever wondered why that iconic British song has the line about there
be blue birds over the white cliffs of Dover? No blue birds in the UK so
far as I know. I suppose the song could have been written by an American.
Must find out when I get a round tuit.

songbird[_2_] 26-10-2013 05:58 PM

a few recent pics

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

one of the many blue birds around:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8237_Blue_Bird.jpg

I want some of them! What gorgeous birds.

the reason those red stems are empty is that
the bluebirds love to eat the berries off those
plants. they are known as the eastern bluebirds.

we have a flock of about thirty of the bluebirds
hanging around here this summer. so they've done
well with the local fields and habitat. they like
the grasshoppers and other bugs. we don't feed
them other than what they forage, but the bird
baths keep them coming back. they need open spaces
for nesting and people have built boxes for them
because at one time their population was in
decline. they seem to be doing ok now.

they have a definite pecking order, quite funny
to watch around the bird baths.

Have you ever wondered why that iconic British song has the line about there
be blue birds over the white cliffs of Dover? No blue birds in the UK so
far as I know. I suppose the song could have been written by an American.
Must find out when I get a round tuit.

perhaps they were talking about blue jays?

if you get a chance some time look up the
mountain bluebird and the western bluebird, there
might also be another really blue bird i'm
thinking of that lives out west, but perhaps it
is the mountain bluebird. i have a picture
around that my sister sent me and i have to
dig it up to compare it to know for sure.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 27-10-2013 04:36 AM

a few recent pics

songbird wrote:
if you get a chance some time look up the
mountain bluebird and the western bluebird, there
might also be another really blue bird i'm
thinking of that lives out west, but perhaps it
is the mountain bluebird. i have a picture
around that my sister sent me and i have to
dig it up to compare it to know for sure.

it was the mountain bluebird. she has a bird-
bath that my Ma built for her that was filled
with a group of them. very pretty birdies and i
don't think they are as shy as the eastern
bluebirds seem to be.

songbird

Snag 01-11-2013 01:45 PM

a few recent pics

songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:
if you get a chance some time look up the
mountain bluebird and the western bluebird, there
might also be another really blue bird i'm
thinking of that lives out west, but perhaps it
is the mountain bluebird. i have a picture
around that my sister sent me and i have to
dig it up to compare it to know for sure.

it was the mountain bluebird. she has a bird-
bath that my Ma built for her that was filled
with a group of them. very pretty birdies and i
don't think they are as shy as the eastern
bluebirds seem to be.

songbird

Another very blue bird we've seen here on the Ozark Plateau is the Indigo
Bunting . Males are VERY blue , females are brown .
--
Snag