Old 27-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Dwayne

Default Getting potatoes ready

I have my seed potatoes bought. They wont be going into the ground for
about 7 weeks. What would it hurt to cut them into chunks with an eye in
each, now rather than wait till 3 days before planting? Have any of you
done it this early?

Thanks, Dwayne

Old 28-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Ross Reid

"Dwayne" wrote:

I have my seed potatoes bought. They wont be going into the ground for
about 7 weeks. What would it hurt to cut them into chunks with an eye in
each, now rather than wait till 3 days before planting? Have any of you
done it this early?

Thanks, Dwayne

Dwayne,
I wouldn't cut them now but, you could always start "chitting" them
six or seven weeks before you can normally plant potatoes. If you were
to cut them now, I think you'll find they will dehydrate into
shriveled, unidentifiable little lumps in 6 weeks.
"Chitting" is simply pre-sprouting potatoes in a good, strong light
(not direct sunlight).
Also, from your post, it sounds like you leave only one eye per piece
when you are cutting potatoes a few days prior to planting. It is
recommended that you leave a minimum of two and a maximum of three
eyes in each piece.

Ross.

Old 28-02-2003, 05:04 AM
Dwayne

Thanks for the responses. I am just getting a little antsy about getting
started. Plus my storage room is getting crowded.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 28-02-2003, 06:15 AM
samuel l crowe

I cut mind about two weeks before planting, they have been in the ground now
for 10 days,

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Zphysics1

Planted Yukon Gold and Sonja Red today.

/z.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Dwayne

I love the Yukon Gold. They are the only ones I grew last year. What zone
are you in? Everyone around here says to plant them on Good Friday. I know
they can survive a frost, but we could still get a hard freeze here.

Dwayne

Old 02-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 06:54:36 -0700, "Dwayne"
wrote:

I love the Yukon Gold. They are the only ones I grew last year. What zone
are you in? Everyone around here says to plant them on Good Friday. I know
they can survive a frost, but we could still get a hard freeze here.

Considering that Good Friday can vary by more than a month,
I'd disregard that advice....

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY