GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   A berry nice day ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/209346-berry-nice-day.html)

Terry Coombs 13-03-2014 02:36 AM

A berry nice day !

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the go-to-girl at
the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with 14 strawberry plants .
Bare root suckers , most had some green , and obviously better quality than
the crap I tried last year from WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of
honor at the top of the garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees
, to leave space for other stuff .
On the orchard thing , I've tentatively selected the varieties we'll be
planting . All will be semi-dwarf , apples will be Red Del and probably
Granny Smith . Peaches will be Red Haven , pears Bartlett and maybe an Anjou
.. Cherries are going to be Bing and North Star . These varieties all do well
in this area , as long as they're properly cared for and get enough sunlight
.. I haven't timed it , but it looks like the area I've cleared will get full
sun from shortly after sunrise til almost sunset . As an added bonus , I've
saved most of the wild Muscadines that are in the now-cleared area . I
intend to trellis them on some 4' stock fencing so they won't interfere with
the trees . I'll be doing the same with some along the driveway ...
Even more icing on my cake , I'm signed up for the local adult education
facility class on beekeeping , it's being taught by the guy I'm getting my
bees/hive from . I'll be bringing home an up-and-running hive after the
class is finished . Life is sweet ...
--
Snag

songbird[_2_] 13-03-2014 09:33 PM

A berry nice day !

Terry Coombs wrote:

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the go-to-girl at
the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with 14 strawberry plants .
Bare root suckers , most had some green , and obviously better quality than
the crap I tried last year from WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of
honor at the top of the garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees
, to leave space for other stuff .

what variety of strawberries are they?

for the most part they'll head towards
the light. i herd them using taller/leafier
beans/soybeans.

if you have ever bearing plants you may
want to also pick up some june bearing
plants (these fruit once, but it is a more
concentrated crop). mainly because they
also have a lot more runners and will fill
in an area more quickly than the ever
bearing plants. and if you don't have any
ever bearing plants, pick some up as then
you can have another harvest or two later
in the season. these have fewer runners
and take longer to fill in a space. still
well worth it. last year i was eating some
of the last crop right up until the frosts
came.

songbird

Terry Coombs 13-03-2014 11:48 PM

A berry nice day !

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the
go-to-girl at the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with
14 strawberry plants . Bare root suckers , most had some green , and
obviously better quality than the crap I tried last year from
WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of honor at the top of the
garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees , to leave space
for other stuff .

what variety of strawberries are they?

for the most part they'll head towards
the light. i herd them using taller/leafier
beans/soybeans.

Corn or pole beans should work then ... these are Fragaria "Ozark Beauty"
everbearing .

if you have ever bearing plants you may
want to also pick up some june bearing
plants (these fruit once, but it is a more
concentrated crop). mainly because they
also have a lot more runners and will fill
in an area more quickly than the ever
bearing plants. and if you don't have any
ever bearing plants, pick some up as then
you can have another harvest or two later
in the season. these have fewer runners
and take longer to fill in a space. still
well worth it. last year i was eating some
of the last crop right up until the frosts
came.

songbird

There's only the 2 of us , I'll probably just let these 14 do their thing
.. No rush , I have the rest of my life . BTW , these are labelled as
GMO-free , which is a Good Thing AFAIC .
Every thing is coming along nicely now , just got back from town to pick
up a new v-belt for the tillerand to the beer store ... . The rocks are
pretty rough on it that first time the ground is broken .
--
Snag

Ecnerwal 13-03-2014 11:56 PM

A berry nice day !

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

apples will be Red Del and probably Granny Smith

Those are pretty close to the last apples I'd choose to grow, but
whatever makes you happy. Thousands of varieties out there, those two
are in every grocery store all year round, and not really the tops for
flavor IMHO. Granny does store well, at least...

Terry Coombs 14-03-2014 12:20 AM

A berry nice day !

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

apples will be Red Del and probably Granny Smith

Those are pretty close to the last apples I'd choose to grow, but
whatever makes you happy. Thousands of varieties out there, those two
are in every grocery store all year round, and not really the tops for
flavor IMHO. Granny does store well, at least...

The variety is decided by The Wife . She buys RD , and that's what she
wants in the orchard . We're kinda limited in choices up here , it's a very
small market - 5,000 pop and we're isolated from nearly everywhere by windy
mountain roads . Nearest "big" city is Batesville , about 35 miles away .
The second choice is tentative , will be decided when I see what she gets in
.. My apple consumption is pretty much limited to pie and sauce . That may
change , depending on what we grow .
--
Snag

songbird[_2_] 14-03-2014 03:49 PM

A berry nice day !

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the
go-to-girl at the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with
14 strawberry plants . Bare root suckers , most had some green , and
obviously better quality than the crap I tried last year from
WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of honor at the top of the
garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees , to leave space
for other stuff .

what variety of strawberries are they?

for the most part they'll head towards
the light. i herd them using taller/leafier
beans/soybeans.

Corn or pole beans should work then ... these are Fragaria "Ozark Beauty"
everbearing .

ah, ok, you won't have that many runners to
manage (as compared to the June bearing).

There's only the 2 of us , I'll probably just let these 14 do their thing
. No rush , I have the rest of my life . BTW , these are labelled as
GMO-free , which is a Good Thing AFAIC .

i don't think anyone has done GMO alterations on
strawberries yet.

anyways, you may find they don't spread fast enough
to offset losses if they are in a difficult location or
climate. a good mulch of shredded bark will help and
if it gets really hot and dry they'll need watering
and perhaps a bit of shade.

the first season recommendation is to remove the
flowers/fruits early in the season and through the
hot part of the summer and have the first crops in
the fall once things cool off a bit.

as i'm pretty far north, i left one fruit per plant
and only shaded them a little through the hot part of
the summer. they seemed to do just fine.

good luck. :)

songbird