Old 15-05-2014, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default My first attempt at grafting

There was a wild apple tree in my back yard that the electric company cut
down. They would have just trimmed it away, but I saw the guys out there
and told them that it didn't make edible apples, so they could cut it down.
That was last year. This year shoots came out of the trunk in a big way.

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of the
shoots. In the unlikely event that it takes, I'll do that with another
one. Then, at the end of the year (mid-Winter), I'll keep the bad shoots
trimmed back. My question is, is there any likelihood at all that the
graft will take?

If not, I'll try again next year at the proper time of year.

Those damned armadillidiidae (doodlebugs) are eating my strawberries.
Let's see how the like the carbaryl that will be arriving this Saturday.

--
--Bryan
Old 16-05-2014, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
Those damned armadillidiidae (doodlebugs) are eating my strawberries.
Let's see how the like the carbaryl that will be arriving this Saturday.

i'm pretty sure frogs, toads, birds, small snakes,
and several other critters will eat them if you
provide habitat. we do have some of these bugs
around our strawberry patches too, but they don't
do much damage to the plants. once in a while
they'll be on a strawberry, but nothing that
can't be accepted.

songbird
Old 16-05-2014, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
There was a wild apple tree in my back yard that the electric company
cut down. They would have just trimmed it away, but I saw the guys
out there and told them that it didn't make edible apples, so they
could cut it down. That was last year. This year shoots came out of
the trunk in a big way.

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of
the shoots. In the unlikely event that it takes, I'll do that with
another one. Then, at the end of the year (mid-Winter), I'll keep
the bad shoots trimmed back. My question is, is there any likelihood
at all that the graft will take?

Grafts only work between plants that are genetically close. So apple-apple,
maybe apple-pear or apple-quince but not apple-pine. I don't know the
obelisk tree, how close to an apple is it? I suspect not at all and so
there is very little or no chance of success.

Old 16-05-2014, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 16/05/2014 7:29 AM, Winters_Lackey wrote:
There was a wild apple tree in my back yard that the electric company cut
down. They would have just trimmed it away, but I saw the guys out there
and told them that it didn't make edible apples, so they could cut it down.
That was last year. This year shoots came out of the trunk in a big way.

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of the
shoots.

I have no idea what an Obelisk tree might be but I've done grafts to
apple trees and using apple scions and all but one of the 26 grafts took.

You could try to graft on apple scions and get fruit from an otherwise
wasted tree.

Old 16-05-2014, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott said:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of
the shoots. In the unlikely event that it takes, I'll do that with
another one. Then, at the end of the year (mid-Winter), I'll keep
the bad shoots trimmed back. My question is, is there any likelihood
at all that the graft will take?

Grafts only work between plants that are genetically close. So apple-apple,
maybe apple-pear or apple-quince but not apple-pine. I don't know the
obelisk tree, how close to an apple is it? I suspect not at all and so
there is very little or no chance of success.

I think the OP is talking about the apple variety Obelisk:

http://www.google.com/patents/USPP9060

It is a patented variety, so you aren't supposed to propagate it without
a license.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 16-05-2014, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Winters_Lackey wrote:
[...]

It is an apple.
http://www.starkbros.com/products/fr...stark-crimson-
spire-colonnade-apple

--Bryan

"Happy ****ing 'new years' that was when me and my father
had to identify her dead mud covered body they pulled from
the family car she'd driven into the Mississippi river!"
--John Kuthe in rec.food.cooking, 3-7-2014
Old 16-05-2014, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote in
:

David Hare-Scott said:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of
the shoots. In the unlikely event that it takes, I'll do that with
another one. Then, at the end of the year (mid-Winter), I'll keep
the bad shoots trimmed back. My question is, is there any
likelihood at all that the graft will take?

Grafts only work between plants that are genetically close. So
apple-apple, maybe apple-pear or apple-quince but not apple-pine. I
don't know the obelisk tree, how close to an apple is it? I suspect
not at all and so there is very little or no chance of success.

I think the OP is talking about the apple variety Obelisk:

http://www.google.com/patents/USPP9060

It is a patented variety, so you aren't supposed to propagate it
without a license.

I think it's going to die anyway, so that won't be an issue. It's not
looking well.

Old 17-05-2014, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote in
:

David Hare-Scott said:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of
the shoots. In the unlikely event that it takes, I'll do that with
another one. Then, at the end of the year (mid-Winter), I'll keep
the bad shoots trimmed back. My question is, is there any
likelihood at all that the graft will take?

Grafts only work between plants that are genetically close. So
apple-apple, maybe apple-pear or apple-quince but not apple-pine. I
don't know the obelisk tree, how close to an apple is it? I suspect
not at all and so there is very little or no chance of success.

I think the OP is talking about the apple variety Obelisk:

http://www.google.com/patents/USPP9060

It is a patented variety, so you aren't supposed to propagate it
without a license.

The patent expired a few months ago.