GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/209845-curly-leaf-lettuce-harvest.html)

[email protected] 30-05-2014 02:28 PM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground?
MJ

George Shirley[_3_] 30-05-2014 07:02 PM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

On 5/30/2014 8:28 AM, wrote:
How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground?
MJ

I always cut the outer leaves with scissors and let the inner leaves
grow. I do the same with Swiss chard and both types tend to grow as long
as they can until the heat gets higher.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 31-05-2014 12:50 AM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

George Shirley wrote:
On 5/30/2014 8:28 AM, wrote:
How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to
the ground? MJ

I always cut the outer leaves with scissors and let the inner leaves
grow. I do the same with Swiss chard and both types tend to grow as
long as they can until the heat gets higher.

Yep. "Cut and come again"

Terry Coombs 31-05-2014 01:53 AM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

David Hare-Scott wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 5/30/2014 8:28 AM, wrote:
How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to
the ground? MJ

I always cut the outer leaves with scissors and let the inner leaves
grow. I do the same with Swiss chard and both types tend to grow as
long as they can until the heat gets higher.

Yep. "Cut and come again"

And again and again and again ...

--
Snag

bluechick 31-05-2014 03:28 AM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

On Fri, 30 May 2014 06:28:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground?
MJ

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the plant
will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing the
end of its season as it grows hotter.

[email protected] 31-05-2014 09:51 AM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

wrote:

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground?

MJ

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the plant

will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing the

end of its season as it grows hotter.

Thanks everyone and that is exactly what I will do :)
MJ

Fran Farmer 31-05-2014 10:03 AM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

wrote:

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground?
MJ

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the plant
will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing the
end of its season as it grows hotter.

That's when I let mine go to seed and then harvest the seed heads for
planting next year or strewing round the garden hoping some will self
seed - they usually do and some in some very strange places.

Terry Coombs 31-05-2014 01:06 PM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

wrote:

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to
the ground?

MJ

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the
plant

will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing
the

end of its season as it grows hotter.

Thanks everyone and that is exactly what I will do :)
MJ

In the last week or so it's like someone flipped a switch on my lettuce .
Romaine and Iceberg are both now growing faster than we can eat it . Now if
only they'd get in sync with the tomatoes ...

--
Snag

[email protected] 31-05-2014 01:56 PM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

wrote:

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground?

MJ

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the plant

will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing the

end of its season as it grows hotter.

That's when I let mine go to seed and then harvest the seed heads for

planting next year or strewing round the garden hoping some will self

seed - they usually do and some in some very strange places.

That's the thing, these plants were self starters. I had no luck at all last year when I actually planted the seeds. It has just been weird but Salad here I come
MJ

George Shirley[_3_] 31-05-2014 02:53 PM

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

wrote:

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to
the ground?

MJ

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the
plant

will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing
the

end of its season as it grows hotter.

Thanks everyone and that is exactly what I will do :)
MJ

In the last week or so it's like someone flipped a switch on my lettuce .
Romaine and Iceberg are both now growing faster than we can eat it . Now if
only they'd get in sync with the tomatoes ...

Ain't gonna happen, would make the little gods of the garden mad if you
could have BLT's every day.