Old 06-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Jean S. Barto

Default When to plant eggplant seedlings?

Hello folks--

I got my Burpee "Sure Start" plants today, and would like to know if it's
safe to plant the eggplants this week, or wait another few days--the
nighttime temperatures are still in the low 50's.

I've already unpacked the plants, watered them, and placed them on my back
step--a "partial sun/shade" area that is protected from wind and extreme
rain.

I was planning to plant the tomato plants tomorrow, before I go on a trip
later this week. I'll be back Monday so I can plant the eggplants starting
next Tuesday, if I don't plant them this week.

Thanks,

Jean in VA (zone 7B)

--
"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

Old 06-05-2003, 08:56 PM
The Cook

"Jean S. Barto" wrote:

Hello folks--

I got my Burpee "Sure Start" plants today, and would like to know if it's
safe to plant the eggplants this week, or wait another few days--the
nighttime temperatures are still in the low 50's.

I've already unpacked the plants, watered them, and placed them on my back
step--a "partial sun/shade" area that is protected from wind and extreme
rain.

I was planning to plant the tomato plants tomorrow, before I go on a trip
later this week. I'll be back Monday so I can plant the eggplants starting
next Tuesday, if I don't plant them this week.

Thanks,

Jean in VA (zone 7B)

It is supposed to be above 60° at night until next Thursday. Then
only down to 58°. Check out www.weather.com. It gives 10 day
forecasts.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Zphysics1

Actually, your nightime temps are much like ours in Los Angeles now. :-/

I started my eggplants a couple of weeks ago and they are fine. Pick the
first ripe tomato of the season -- Japanese oxheart. Because of the cool temps
we have been having, the sugar content is not at it max.

/z.