Old 14-06-2014, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Friday the 13th!

Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

Phones for about half our street went out on the 11th and weren't
restored until this afternoon. Then, the power went out suddenly this
morning even though a minor storm that blew in had been over and done
for hours. Seems our local power co had a lovely planned outage. If
they'd tried to call to warn us we wouldn't have known. If it was
anything like the last "upgrade" they didn't warn anyone anyway.
*grump*

So, it wasn't raining and the temperature was in the upper 70s with
humidity at only 2000% or thereabouts. So, DH and I decided to check
out the garden and see what was ready to harvest. Lo and behold the
Cubanelle peppers I put in the bed affected by Mysterious Pepper Wilt
had gone crazy. Not only were they not wilted, they had each produced
a large pepper so I picked all three. I have plans for them. We got
a few more blueberries, another cup of blackberries off the back fence
of the garden (and another of those great big Kiowi berries). And the
San Marzano plum tomato plants had three tomatoes ready to grab. Given
that we'd already picked a nice sized tomato off one of the Goliaths,
we were happy to get some tomatoes before July 4. The borage next to
the tomatoes is about a day away from blooming. I can't wait since
I've never gotten them to bloom before some bug or other calamity has
struck.

The cream of today's crop has to be the Dolman Red raspberry. We were
told that no one around here has been able to grow raspberries. We,
in our clueless innocence, have had better luck. I got 22 berries
from it today alone. In the past three days I've gotten 55 gorgeous
ruby red and ripe raspberries off ONE plant that was transplanted less
than three months ago. It's supposed to be more heat tolerant than
the average raspberry and I can't recommend it enough. For anyone in
hot southern climes who want to try a raspberry, do what we did: plant
it where it gets afternoon shade. We have a large tree that's west of
where we planted the Dolman and it seems to absolutely love it. It's
shaded at the hottest part of the day and otherwise gets full sun from
the east and south. It's a sweet and tasty raspberry too and I'm not
even a big raspberry fan. I think I'll have to make a chocolate
cheesecake and adorn the top with these babies. Yum.

Time to go outside and marvel at the full moon.
Old 14-06-2014, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:
Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part
of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup
before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm
not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of
cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about
proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

Phones for about half our street went out on the 11th and weren't
restored until this afternoon. Then, the power went out suddenly this
morning even though a minor storm that blew in had been over and done
for hours. Seems our local power co had a lovely planned outage. If
they'd tried to call to warn us we wouldn't have known. If it was
anything like the last "upgrade" they didn't warn anyone anyway.
*grump*

So, it wasn't raining and the temperature was in the upper 70s with
humidity at only 2000% or thereabouts. So, DH and I decided to check
out the garden and see what was ready to harvest. Lo and behold the
Cubanelle peppers I put in the bed affected by Mysterious Pepper Wilt
had gone crazy. Not only were they not wilted, they had each produced
a large pepper so I picked all three. I have plans for them.

What are you going to do with them?

Old 14-06-2014, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 6:51:58 AM UTC-4, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:

Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part

of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup

before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm

not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of

cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about

proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

So happy for that. Continued best wishes !!!

[...]

I want to know too !!!!??

Old 14-06-2014, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:
Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part
of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup
before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm
not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of
cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about
proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

wonderful news!

songbird
Old 14-06-2014, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:51:58 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:
Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part
of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup
before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm
not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of
cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about
proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

I can understand why you'd be wary. I'm so glad you had a good
report!

So, it wasn't raining and the temperature was in the upper 70s with
humidity at only 2000% or thereabouts. So, DH and I decided to check
out the garden and see what was ready to harvest. Lo and behold the
Cubanelle peppers I put in the bed affected by Mysterious Pepper Wilt
had gone crazy. Not only were they not wilted, they had each produced
a large pepper so I picked all three. I have plans for them.

What are you going to do with them?

I found a chicken dish we enjoy that uses mild Anaheim chiles and
fresh herbs. I like to use home grown instead of buying any chiles
and our herbs are ready to go but I had to wait on the Cubanelles. We
had a red onion in the garden that was ready too, an added bonus. I
usually chop up one large or two small Cubanelles and omit the
pimientos. Since all three Cubanelles were large, I'll probably use
the others to make chiles rellenoes since they're available, even
though I usually use poblanos for that.

Gazpacho-Sauced Chicken Breasts With Basil Oil

Original recipe by mygourmetconnection.com (with my tweaks) Yield: 4
servings

----Gazpacho----
14-1/2 oz can tomatoes; undrained
1/4 cup pimiento peppers; drained
1/4 cup fresh Cubanelle or Anaheim pepper; roughly chopped
1 slice bread; crust removed
1/4 cup red onion; chopped
3 cloves garlic; chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley; chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
salt & black pepper; to taste
----Chicken----
8 medium chicken cutlets; thinly sliced
olive oil
salt & black pepper; to taste
----Basil Oil----
1 cup fresh basil
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch salt; or to taste
a few drops of lemon or lime juice

Place all gazpacho ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth,
about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside at room
temperature. (I use canned tomatoes for this if we don't have fresh
but I prefer to throw a couple of large, roughly chopped and seeded
fresh tomatoes into the blender instead; the original recipe called
for canned fire-roasted tomatoes but I can't always find them).

Basil Oil: Place fresh basil leaves in a blender. (Sprinkle with a
little lemon or lime juice; pulse once or twice). Add olive oil and
salt. Puree. Reserve until needed for chicken.

Chicken: Preheat broiler (or grill).

Rub both sides of the chicken cutlets with olive oil and season with
salt and pepper. Oil broiler pan. Broil until lightly browned and
cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. (We usually throw
these on a hot, oiled grill instead of heating the broiler).

To serve: Spread a few tablespoons of gazpacho sauce on each of four
plates. Top with two of the cutlets and drizzle with Basil Oil.

(It's a tasty dish, wonderful when using fresh stuff from the garden.
I keep meaning to try it with a pork tenderloin instead of chicken.)

Old 14-06-2014, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 06:27:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 6:51:58 AM UTC-4, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:

Lo and behold the

Cubanelle peppers I put in the bed affected by Mysterious Pepper Wilt

had gone crazy. Not only were they not wilted, they had each produced

a large pepper so I picked all three. I have plans for them.

What are you going to do with them?

I want to know too !!!!??

Hee! I just posted the recipe for Gazpacho-Sauced Chicken Breasts
With Basil Oil when I answered Fran's message. If it doesn't show up
for you I can repost it, if you're interested. As I told Fran, that
recipe uses only 1 large or 2 small Cubanelles. Since I picked 3
large ones I will use the others for chiles rellenos.
Old 15-06-2014, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 14/06/2014 11:27 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 14, 2014 6:51:58 AM UTC-4, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:

Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part

of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup

before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm

not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of

cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about

proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

So happy for that. Continued best wishes !!!

Thank you. I've only got one more cancer to be get a full 5 years clear
reports on and then I can count myself as being fully clear.

[...]

:-)) I think she was putting out a bait so we'd ask......

Old 15-06-2014, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 15/06/2014 4:33 AM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:
Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part
of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup
before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm
not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of
cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about
proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

wonderful news!

Thank you 'bird, I thought so too ;-))

Old 15-06-2014, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Oooooh! That does sound lovely. But a questions...

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?

Old 15-06-2014, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:36:47 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 15/06/2014 7:28 AM, bluechick wrote:

(recipe snipped)

(It's a tasty dish, wonderful when using fresh stuff from the garden.
I keep meaning to try it with a pork tenderloin instead of chicken.)

Oooooh! That does sound lovely. But a questions...

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?

It's a cut I never buy because it's easy to make it without paying a
butcher to slice a chicken breast in half. Basically, take a boneless
chicken breast and cut it in half lengthwise into two thin pieces. Or,
you can pound a boneless breast until it's very thin but I think
slicing it is easier and it's easier to cook, imo.

I should have put that in my additions to the recipe since I never buy
"cutlets". Sorry for the confusion.

Old 15-06-2014, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 08:21:09 -0400, Derald wrote:

Fran Farmer wrote:

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?

It's right between the "fingers" and the "tenders".

Hee! Yep, it's one of those mysterious chicken parts that make the
butchers more money.
Old 16-06-2014, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 15/06/2014 10:21 PM, Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?

It's right between the "fingers" and the "tenders".

Hmmmmmm

Old 16-06-2014, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 15/06/2014 7:28 AM, bluechick wrote:

(recipe snipped)

(It's a tasty dish, wonderful when using fresh stuff from the garden.
I keep meaning to try it with a pork tenderloin instead of chicken.)

Oooooh! That does sound lovely. But a questions...

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?

It's a cut I never buy because it's easy to make it without paying a
butcher to slice a chicken breast in half. Basically, take a boneless
chicken breast and cut it in half lengthwise into two thin pieces.

Ah! Now I understand. We'd just call it a half of a breast.

Or,
you can pound a boneless breast until it's very thin but I think
slicing it is easier and it's easier to cook, imo.

Yep. I agree.

I should have put that in my additions to the recipe since I never buy
"cutlets". Sorry for the confusion.

No problemo.

I've become reasonably good at understanding USian but some of your
terms still evade me. I've recently discovered what Graham flour is but
every time I read that a recipe requires 'a stick of butter' I have to
go off and find out what that mean in terms of the weight of the butter.
Numbers and I aren't naturally good friends......

Old 17-06-2014, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:

I've become reasonably good at understanding USian but some of your
terms still evade me. I've recently discovered what Graham flour is but
every time I read that a recipe requires 'a stick of butter' I have to
go off and find out what that mean in terms of the weight of the butter.
Numbers and I aren't naturally good friends......

4 sticks to a pound. Assuming you get a half-kilo instead of a pound,
125 g/stick.

Now picture a USian who enjoys baking (yes, for fun on vacation even)
visiting friends in Britain and trying to figure out what in heck a
gas mark is. I winged it and came out OK (yeast bread is fairly
forgiving if you keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.) A while
after I got back here I actually found a conversion chart, but it
was not easy to track down (I don't know if you folks also use this
system?)

F .vs. C I was educationally equipped to deal with. "Gas Mark 1 - 7"
I had not a clue about.

On the blueberry reading front, add Maine (ME - Univ. of Maine at
Orono, or UMO is the home of the ag. extension) to your list as a
major producer of the "wild" lowbush types. What the heck, I'll
throw you a couple of links:

http://umaine.edu/blueberries/

http://umaine.edu/gardening/master-g...h-blueberries/

Old 17-06-2014, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 15/06/2014 7:28 AM, bluechick wrote:

(recipe snipped)

(It's a tasty dish, wonderful when using fresh stuff from the garden.
I keep meaning to try it with a pork tenderloin instead of chicken.)

Oooooh! That does sound lovely. But a questions...

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?

It's a cut I never buy because it's easy to make it without paying a
butcher to slice a chicken breast in half. Basically, take a boneless
chicken breast and cut it in half lengthwise into two thin pieces.

Ah! Now I understand. We'd just call it a half of a breast.

Works for me.

Or,
you can pound a boneless breast until it's very thin but I think
slicing it is easier and it's easier to cook, imo.

Yep. I agree.

One pounded chicken breast can take up a whole pan or a good part of a
grill. It's awkward to turn, etc. I'd much rather slice them in
half.

I should have put that in my additions to the recipe since I never buy
"cutlets". Sorry for the confusion.

No problemo.

I've become reasonably good at understanding USian but some of your
terms still evade me. I've recently discovered what Graham flour is but
every time I read that a recipe requires 'a stick of butter' I have to
go off and find out what that mean in terms of the weight of the butter.
Numbers and I aren't naturally good friends......

I completely agree with "a stick of butter" being confusing. I know
what it is but many outside of the US don't. Besides, I've started
using European butters more and more often lately and a "stick" isn't
interchangeable in quantity. It's more accurate to say "1/2 cup" or
"4 ounces" and avoid confusion.