GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squash stem root rot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/210104-squash-stem-root-rot.html)

Terry Coombs 27-06-2014 04:23 AM

Squash stem root rot

sucks . There is apparently no cure , just yank 'em and toss 'em in the fire
.. Lost a zuke , a cuke , and maybe another cucumber and one of my straight
neck squashes .
And my tomatoes have aphids . Ain't life grand ?
--
Snag

Drew Lawson[_2_] 07-07-2014 04:46 PM

Squash stem root rot

In article
"Terry Coombs" writes:

And my tomatoes have aphids . Ain't life grand ?

I'm generally lucky with aphids. I guess I have enough bug eaters
around. However my tomatoes have leaf spot, and it took me at least
a week longer than it should have to realize that. I'm hoping that
they get enough new growth to make up for the doomed leaves.

--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested

Terry Coombs 07-07-2014 07:30 PM

Squash stem root rot

Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"Terry Coombs" writes:

And my tomatoes have aphids . Ain't life grand ?

I'm generally lucky with aphids. I guess I have enough bug eaters
around. However my tomatoes have leaf spot, and it took me at least
a week longer than it should have to realize that. I'm hoping that
they get enough new growth to make up for the doomed leaves.

I managed to put somewhat of a hurt on the aphids . I used 10 tsp of a mix
that consisted of 1 bar ivory dissolved in 1 qt water with a couple of
teaspoons of cayenne pepper steeped in hot water . Helped a lot , but
anywhere I missed soaking the underside of the leaves there are still a few
.. The root rot has apparently died out , at least for now . I ended up
losing 2 cucumbers , 1 zucchini and an acorn squash .

--
Snag

Terry Coombs 07-07-2014 07:32 PM

Squash stem root rot

Terry Coombs wrote:
Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"Terry Coombs" writes:

And my tomatoes have aphids . Ain't life grand ?

I'm generally lucky with aphids. I guess I have enough bug eaters
around. However my tomatoes have leaf spot, and it took me at least
a week longer than it should have to realize that. I'm hoping that
they get enough new growth to make up for the doomed leaves.

I managed to put somewhat of a hurt on the aphids . I used 10 tsp of
a mix that consisted of 1 bar ivory dissolved in 1 qt water with a
couple of teaspoons of cayenne pepper steeped in hot water . Helped a
lot , but anywhere I missed soaking the underside of the leaves there
are still a few . The root rot has apparently died out , at least for
now . I ended up losing 2 cucumbers , 1 zucchini and an acorn squash .

OOops , meant to say 10 tsp of that soap mix to a gallon of water .

--
Snag